Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

what do you guys use to put some tint onto the lights?

i have the smoked cab light from recon, i was thinking about "smoking" my fog lights.

black spray paint?

-Rob

·
Registered
221 Posts
i think its call VGT nightshade? google it or look on ebay. just light sand clean and spray. depending on darkness depends on how many coats

·
Registered
221 Posts
hey

what do you guys use to put some tint onto the lights?

i have the smoked cab light from recon, i was thinking about "smoking" my fog lights.

black spray paint?

-Rob
it comes in like a spray paint can FYI

·
GoNavy!
3,077 Posts
It's VHT Night shades..and everything else 6oh said..Just to let you know the cab lights and the sprayed stuff will not look the same but it will be close and will probably look good.

·
crazyhorseperformance
15 Posts
Pepboys stocks VHT Nightshades.

Just go on real thin for a tact and 2 or 3 thin coats after. Clear coat them to last! Wet sand them to look nice.

·
White Machine
42 Posts
If you have a hobby store. They have a spray tint for model cars, I think it looks better then vht

·
Nothin' but a peanut!
177 Posts
VHT nightshades

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Nothin' but a peanut!
177 Posts
can you get a picture of it on? and on at night... see how much it actually does?
Here ya go. Just took these pics a few minutes ago...

·
Sponsor w/out Blue name
1,503 Posts
stupid question, but do you spray outside or inside? and just clean then apply however many coats you want for the darkness you want??

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
You spray the outside. I believe Rust-Oleum has just released a tint spray as well. I have seen it at Autozone.

·
Banned
844 Posts
how do you get the tint coats shiny? everytime ive done it, its not shiny...just dull :shrug:

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
Clearcoat after tinting. You can wet sand after clear for an even glossier look.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have been experimenting with the.... "high temp BBQ black" and the krylon for plastics black.

kinda tricky to get a nice even coating to where it's not splotchy and looking like crap.

no place around here has the spray tint.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Clearcoat after tinting. You can wet sand after clear for an even glossier look.
Wat grain? Anddo you buff it after you wet sand it?

·
Banned
132 Posts
Step 1. Wetsand with 1,500 grit
Step 2. Put on some latex gloves and clean with wax and grease remover, then wipe dry.
Step 3. Mix some clearcoat, (I use U-Tech) add tint to it. Yes there is an actual paint that is transparent. Add as much or as little depending on how dark you want it, stir it.
Step 4. Spray a medium wet coat, let the clear flash, time will vary depending on the clear. My clears flashtime is 5min.
Step 5. Spay a wet coat.
Remember the more you spray the darker it will get.

The gun you use matters, I've been spraying for years and finally broke down and bought a Sata Minijet4 and woah the quality of my work is SO much better.
I did my 3rd brake light, I did a 2 coats with not a lot of tint in the clear and this is how it came out.

If anyone is in the Dallas area I would be more than happy to help you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts