Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have been studying on here for awhile different thing you have all asked about regarding mileage. with my 11 350 dually, 4x4, 3.73 gears, i get 15-17 driving respectively mixed city and highway. when i decide to hot rod it it drops quick. but pulling a small trailer, and i mean small ( 10 foot) with my utv on it the mileage drops down to about 10-11 almost like the trucks programmed to consume more fuel. any ideas why? there is no gate on the trailer, trailer has no electric brakes to stick on,and yes the tires are aired up properly on the trailer.this is on the highway driving to, we usually ride at a park about 100 miles away from home, so i set the cruise and i go.speed also doesn't affect it so it seems. at 70 exactly the mileage is around 12.5 with the trailer and utv on it. empty it will hold right at 17 on the same road, same speed.i even removed the windshield from my utv thinking it was a wind drag, no difference. any ideas dave?:confused:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also whats strange is pulling my skid loader, should be about 13,000 total extra weight, it still gets 10-11 on the same road same speed. i have also double checked the lie-o-meter with every tank and its within 1 mpg of matching my hand calculations. this truck is stock 100%.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right, no way that much.

·
1,096 Posts
A 3-motorcycle trailer drops me 9 MPG.

A Bobcat on a flatbed drops me 12.

If it doesn't, you're wildly overgeared.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! Well that surely fits right inline with what happens to me. I don't feel quite as bad now LOL. However, apples to oranges I know ,but my dads new 5.0 f150 drops 1 mpg towing his utv on a 10 foot trailer. And with the drop he's at 17 on winter gasoline.

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
I pulled a small haul trailer w/ my 02 and still got 17. There wasn't but a 1000 or so pounds of junk in it but it was enclosed but don't know what the trailer itself weighed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts