Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share the following with the forum since it surprised the heck out of me…. Warning this will be long…
History
Truck in signature is my daily driver and currently has 145K + on it and I am original owner. I tow a trailer with it at least 1 a month for a couple thousand miles. I stay on top of maint and the truck runs great except for minor issues everyone on this forum has dealt with (EGR, EGR Cooler, Oil Cooler etc). At 128K I didn’t trust the dealer with a diag of losing coolant so I went ahead and replaced the normal parts, EGR delete, new cooler, etc etc. Other than this no special work was done to truck, no aftermarket radios, lights or wiring for anything. (Just wanted to state that)
Prob for about 45K miles I have experienced issue with minor stuff that I attributed to wear and tear. I would lose my dash (lights and gauges) when it was cold out and tracked that down to a loose connection on the back of the fuse box, posted pics in previous posts and share the location with forum. Also I had other little weird stuff that wasn’t a problem just more of a nuisance… things like Coolant and oil temp reading being hype sensitive when viewed though the Banks IQ or any other scan tools I have hooked up, The AC controls would not light up or function on occasion unless I turned headlights on, this has happened for a few years, and just got used to turning lights on when it occurred. Of course I had the normal recurring Check engine light for P0401 post EGR delete... Which I would simple reset since I still have the EGR valve installed\connected for Show. The only other item was when the lights were on traveling at night as speed, and I rolled down the window, the lights would momentarily dim (no matter which window in rolled down).. This occurred even with new batteries and a new alternator... Also some days it would feel like the truck was just a little down on power but maybe I was being too critical or paranoid. Again, all the above stuff was not really critical (well the dash not working caused truck to run like crap) but I just fig age was issue (both the trucks and my age  .

Solution;
So after a recent cold morning in jersey, I walked out and started truck 47 out and guess what, no dash lights, no gauges (everything else worked and truck did start).. A couple of light taps on fuse box and dash lit up. Went to work and when I got home I tore into it to check my previously diag loose connection. All the wiggling and reseating did nothing to improve the dash situation, so I went out and got all new fuses and relays (cause it makes sense that an aging relay would stick right?) I replaced all parts and called it a night, next morning I went out and guess what… same issue. A couple of lite taps on fuse box and dash started working again.
Well I thought about this all day and when I got home I validated all grounds were good, and no loose connections or chaffed wires were the cause… Decided to pull the trigger and replace the fuse box… if all else fails throw parts at it right? Well 375 bucks later and about a half hour of my time the new box was installed… reconnected the batteries and crossed my fingers… turned the key and bam, truck fired right up.. Called it a day after a quick buzz around block.
Next morning I walked out 52 degrees, turned the key, and dash was working, I had the standard glow plug buzz that I hadn’t noticed was NOT there previously and truck fired up with no problem.
It has now been a full week... cold temps remain, and I have approx. 400 miles on truck since repair. All my above issues are gone, temps no longer bounce around, the P0401 code no longer comes up, truck sounds diff along with the lights dimming etc. Truck also spins over just a bit faster when cranking.
I cannot believe that the fuse box actually fixed these issues (My goal was to correct the intermittent dash functionality) but I guess it makes sense if the internals had an issue. The dealer said the part has been revised 3 times . Also I know there was a tech bulletin that documented an issue with the fuse box and fused not being installed correctly from the factory, I did validate all fuses were seated in full contact before replacement.
Below are the pics of the old fuse box opened up.. I can’t readily find a smoking gun other then loose internals but in the end, the issues are all gone and that eases the pain of the money spent.… sorry for long post but fig it was worth sharing.

http://photobucket.com/f250fusebox

·
diesel fiend
338 Posts
Man I really appreciate this post , I have had some strange electrical gremlins in my 05 since I bought it and just grew used to them . I will have to try tapping o n the fuse box next time it acts up and see what it does .

·
Registered
868 Posts
When you would loose the dash, did the truck go into limp mode and not want to start off in first gear?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
AMSOIL Dealer
11 Posts
Thanks for the post, great info.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
juniorssrollin, yes, when i lost the dash, the truck would start but there was no way to actually drive down the road.. it was DEFF in limp mode.. i think i could have actually walked faster then the truck would move.

·
Registered
868 Posts
OK cause mine is doing this and after a few taps and wiggling of wires under the dash, I'm back in action. Thought possibly a loose or bad connection on the back of the dash.
So really a $375 fusebox?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sure i could have searched and found Fusebox a little cheaper but in the end i just went with the local dealer who convienient.. since it fixed my issue i didnt mind the money spent :)
Keblmo
next time, try turning the headlights on manually and see if the controls come back, that was my normal work around before replacing the fusebox below is a link to the previous thread where i posted the pic of the connector i had an issue with, it was the left hand connector that i could wiggle to get it working proir to repair
***Cluster bad or is it the connector?-05 F350 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts