Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 03 6.0L I am going to pull the valve covers tonight to see if i can find this small HPOS leak. I got a monitor so I can see what its doing. It starts ok when cold, when hot if I restart it right away it will restart but it takes about 5 sec of cranking for the HP pump to get enough oil psi to start. Seems like some oil drains out of the rails when it sits. Let it sit for 10 min I got to wait till its cool to start it.

BTW the HPOP duty cycle is no higher than it ever was at idle could not be a big leak. Injectors are all 100%

Where you think its leaking at?

·
Smokin' Ole
86 Posts
STC fitting is what it sounds like. Small enough leak to cause a hot soak issue.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't think STC fittings are on the 03-04 trucks. I am going to start with stand pipe orings and check all rthe plugs in the rail.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you have access to a scan tool watch what your icp actual pressure in while cranking and watch what the duty cycle is for the IPR at the same time. If duty cycle is at 85% its commanding the PCM to pump more oil. Remove conncector at ICP to see if oil is running out of connector and or ICP sensor. I have never seen a O-ring fail on the stanpipe on a 03 and early 04, usually its the ICP sensor leaking or just the HPOP is getting weak. Do you feel low on power at times? I have a autometer HPOP gauge mounted on the steering coulumn with the single pod. I have compared the gauge to my 2,000 scan tool and it is pretty accurate, I was impressed.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have access to a scan tool watch what your icp actual pressure in while cranking and watch what the duty cycle is for the IPR at the same time. If duty cycle is at 85% its commanding the PCM to pump more oil. Remove conncector at ICP to see if oil is running out of connector and or ICP sensor. I have never seen a O-ring fail on the stanpipe on a 03 and early 04, usually its the ICP sensor leaking or just the HPOP is getting weak. Do you feel low on power at times? I have a autometer HPOP gauge mounted on the steering coulumn with the single pod. I have compared the gauge to my 2,000 scan tool and it is pretty accurate, I was impressed.
I dont think its the HPOP as the duty cycle when at idle is only 21%. Now cranking when its warm will be as high as 95% if i crank it for a while icp will usualy start going upand once it starts making icp it shoots right up and starts. Seems like a small leak to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts