Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for all you small engine guru's out there.....

I have a Homelite backpack blower. Haven't used it in a couple years. Got it out the other day and wanted to get it running again. My fuel lines and fuel primer bulb had dry rotted, so I replaced all of that. New plug, fuel lines, primer bulb, and pulled the carb off and flushed it out with some carb cleaner. Figured it should start up. It fired over on the first pull, but every pull after that, it is just pouring gas out of the carb. You pull the rope, and it sucks gas out of the tank and dumps it right out of the carb inlet. I'm talking about alot of gas too. What do you think could be the issue?

The new inlet fuel line is pushed down to the bottom of the tank so I know it gets plenty of fuel, but does the return line need to be just barely inside the tank, or does it matter if it's down in the tank farther? I'm not sure if that's related or not, but it just crossed my mind this morning.

·
Precision Planting Dealer
670 Posts
maybe you pushed the intake line to far down into the tank, ive seen a few small engine motor fuel intake lines that had gap from the bottom of the line to the bottom of the tank

·
Registered
741 Posts
Needle and seat on the carb is probably bad. Get a kit and replace it. The carb make and model will have the right kit. Easy fix.

·
Registered
118 Posts
went through a similar problem with my troybilt 4stroke weedeater today, the primer bulb was bad, so I drove across town to find a replacement bulb that cost $5 for a piece of rubber less than the size of a thimble, installed that and when I pulled the starter rope everything just locked up. I pulled the plug and everything turned over fine and a lot of oil and gas came out of the plug hole, I shot ether and compressed air into the plug hole to dry eveything out and tried it again with no luck. Got pissed off and dropped $250 at Lowes for a Huskqvara (sp?) 2 cycle that runs so strong its kicking my ass ( I am recovering from congestive heart failure and rotator cuff surgery} but its getting the job done

·
Registered
118 Posts
went through a similar problem with my troybilt 4stroke weedeater today, the primer bulb was bad, so I drove across town to find a replacement bulb that cost $5 for a piece of rubber less than the size of a thimble, installed that and when I pulled the starter rope everything just locked up. I pulled the plug and everything turned over fine and a lot of oil and gas came out of the plug hole, I shot ether and compressed air into the plug hole to dry eveything out and tried it again with no luck. Got pissed off and dropped $250 at Lowes for a Huskqvarna (sp?) 2 cycle that runs so strong its kicking my ass ( I am recovering from congestive heart failure and rotator cuff surgery} but its getting the job done

1 - 5 of 5 Posts