Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
OUTLAW 603
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of doing head gaskets at the dealer. Today I showed up to help and we were in the process of removing the old oil cooler... We removed the oil cooler on the bench next to the oil filter housing and when we picked the old cooler up we found this real small check ball incased in a brass cage. We have no clue where it came from. Any suggestions would be great thanks in advance. It's a 07 6.0

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
that is from the thermostat. you will now need to replace that too!!

·
OUTLAW 603
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It must of broke off and traveled to the oil cooler and got stuck in there... Thanks very much. Had a sleepless night thanks to that lil piece. Now maybe I can feel better about this! Would any thing else have broke off if were just seeing this little bit? Is there more to the puzzle?

·
Registered
221 Posts
No. I think it is just an air bleed. make sure you buy a motorcraft replacement. the aftermarket one are smaller in size.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ok, hold on I'll take a pic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thank you :ford:

·
OUTLAW 603
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help z28. I got my truck back today all seams to be good. Actually I am a little mad at the dealer. When they had the heads off I made them send them to a local machine shop. The machine shop said they were out of spec .006. In some spots. No big deal just shave them flat no worries. Long story short ford said the heads were within spec of .004 and reinstalled the heads without my consent. I hope the gaskets don't fail again!

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,329 Posts
Here is Ford's test procedure on heads

mms://multimedia.ford.com/seopts/wsm/cylinderheadflatness.wmv

It superceded TSB 06-21-10

It sure seems to be way too much to me. Hopefully you will be OK.

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
If they do you'll know why.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts