Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just this morning i was leaving the house the truck started normally but when i was going up a hill the truck would lose power when it was shifting so it seemed like it was shifting really really late and when i got to the top of the hill the truck completely died, now it just cranks constantly and wont start, i was little under half a tank of diesel. My dad and I just replaced the pickup screen this weekend and the egr cooler is leaking (white smoke on start) im new to diesel so im not sure if it can be the injectors or a ficm? No idea... 04 f250 6.0

·
Registered
624 Posts
I am not a 6.0 guy but I would not think it is injectors. Maybe the standpipe, the fuel pump or one of many others....there are knowledgeable 6.0 fellas on here i am sure they will help you diagnose your truck.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't think it's injectors either. I'd think it would at least fire and run really bad if 1 or even 2 injectors were failing.

First things first, do you have an obd2 scanner or monitor? there's a couple parms that are real real useful like the ICP and IPR, along with FICM logic and FICM main power. This can help the guys tat are smarter than me (lol) determine whether it's a HPO thing, or a FICM thing.
The HPO stuff is pretty straightforward - depending on the engine build, you've got a handful of parts that are known to leak off pressure enough to stop the motor from running.

Next, can you check your fuel pressure? Unless it's the fuel pump, I don't think that's it, but it's something you'll want to know if you own a 6.0 lol

aaaaaaaand, do you know the build date on your engine? i forget the cuttoff date, but some 04s have the 'early build 6.0', other have the later. makes a bit of difference hunting sensors and HPO leaks and stuff...

next-to-lastly, did you delete the egr yet? semi-related, is it programmed (tuned) to ignore the egr function, or is it running stock tuning?

Lastly, does the truck currently not start as it is now (crank-no start)? Also, keep those batteries maintained, a weak set of batteries will kill a FICM if it's not already started killing it... we can help you figure that our too if need be

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't think it's injectors either. I'd think it would at least fire and run really bad if 1 or even 2 injectors were failing.

First things first, do you have an obd2 scanner or monitor? there's a couple parms that are real real useful like the ICP and IPR, along with FICM logic and FICM main power. This can help the guys tat are smarter than me (lol) determine whether it's a HPO thing, or a FICM thing.
The HPO stuff is pretty straightforward - depending on the engine build, you've got a handful of parts that are known to leak off pressure enough to stop the motor from running.

Next, can you check your fuel pressure? Unless it's the fuel pump, I don't think that's it, but it's something you'll want to know if you own a 6.0 lol

aaaaaaaand, do you know the build date on your engine? i forget the cuttoff date, but some 04s have the 'early build 6.0', other have the later. makes a bit of difference hunting sensors and HPO leaks and stuff...

next-to-lastly, did you delete the egr yet? semi-related, is it programmed (tuned) to ignore the egr function, or is it running stock tuning?

Lastly, does the truck currently not start as it is now (crank-no start)? Also, keep those batteries maintained, a weak set of batteries will kill a FICM if it's not already started killing it... we can help you figure that our too if need be
I do have an ob2 scanner, im at school so i wont be able to test the truck until later but the truck didnt know any codes on the scanner, we bought it from a dealership and the previous owner did alot of work to it, from what i can tell it seems to have a tune and the egr isnt deleted yet. My dad has a tig welder so were planning on welding the ends of the egr cooler this weekend. It does crank like normal but it wont start at all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No pending codes either?
Nope no codes. It did start kind of rough in the morning but i didnt think much of it, it didnt idle rough after that or when i drove down the street, when i get home im going to take the ficm out and pray that it has 4 screws so i can replace the circuit board, do i have to re program the ficm after replacing the circuit board? If so how can i get that done.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
I highly recommend that you call Ed at FICMRepair.com - he is not only an expert, but he knows how to walk us DIY-ers through FICM repairs...
...he can also answer ficm tuning questions for you, unfortunately I can't help much more with ficms. I replaced mine a while back and i'm so glad i did lol - it's main power was way low.

BUT...before you spend too much work pulling the FICM, at least do the voltage test. Youtube has lots of great videos on it. and see what the OBD scanner says on the logic and main power ficm voltages. you'll want to know those key-on-engine-off, and while cranking. Rather, the guys that are smarter than me on here probably will lol

and check those HPO values for us! (ICP and IPR while cranking)

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,162 Posts
Several other posts have suggested getting a scan tool to look at ICP and IPR values. Still haven't seen that data.

We can guess all day without data.

Did you ever call Ed at FICM repair?

Did you ever get the EGR cooler welded?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts