Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys help me out. Been working a ton of hours and have zero time to work on this.

97 f250 145k. I have had the truck for about 3 years and have put ZERO miles on it. Just from time to time start it and move it from one part of the yard to the other..

Anyway,,,,,,,, I wanted to move the truck a couple of weeks ago. cranked VERY slow then click click click. Ok put charger on 2 amp for about 24 hours. Same thing.
Put it on boost and it cranks 1-2 revolutions and back to REALLY slow cranking.

my thinking was batteries were bad, so I had pair sitting here. Let them on charger for about 24 hours each on slow charge, then put in truck(cleaned connections and made sure tight) SAME SLOW cranking

ok, starter bad......... put in used starter today. same slow crank. Put charger on Boost and it cranks over slow, but started.
Ran for 10 min and I shut it off. Went to restart with just batteries and it BARELY turns over and no start.

Disconnected batteries and they are 12.5v and 12.6v. Load tested and they are 10 and 10.5. So I am thinking bad batteries, But I would think the truck would at least turn over semi decent in a heated garage.

Suggestion???????

·
7,984 Posts
bad batteries, and internal corrosion on battery cables, most likely the positive cable.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I second the bad battery opinion. Seen that time and again. I'd be willing to bet if you pull the caps and look down in the cells a few are really sulfated.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Suggestion for CHEAP batteries? I don't really want to spend $250 to just have them sit there to start a truck 2-3 times a year

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
For testing I would just pull them from another vehicle and see what happens, then you should have a direction to actually go.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The corrosion comes more from the batteries off gassing than salt or winter. See if the cable ends are stiff and swollen up by the connections. If not, don't worry about it too much.

A cheap battery is a cheap battery, check around for what are called Blems, they are cheap, because they didn't sell during their shelf life, I have some that have lasted me 10 years. It's a gamble. Check with battery distributors, like Interstate, or US Distributing.

Other advice, unhook them. When the truck sits unhook the batteries. They last exponentially longer that way.

·
7,984 Posts
also put a solar trickle charger or two on the dash and run the wires up front to the disconnected batteries.it will keep them topped off.
i use the cheap harbor freight solar chargers in everything. one per battery. the ones in the 02 has not been started in 8 months, but will crack rite off once the batteries are hooked up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if this applies to 97, but I have a 99 and would never start below freezing unless plugged in and cranked slow. Turned out it was the starter. I guess they are known for this issue. Bearings go to #### or something. put knew starter in, turns over 10 times faster with same batteries and don't have to plug in.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For testing I would just pull them from another vehicle and see what happens, then you should have a direction to actually go.

That is easy enough to do

The corrosion comes more from the batteries off gassing than salt or winter. See if the cable ends are stiff and swollen up by the connections. If not, don't worry about it too much.

A cheap battery is a cheap battery, check around for what are called Blems, they are cheap, because they didn't sell during their shelf life, I have some that have lasted me 10 years. It's a gamble. Check with battery distributors, like Interstate, or US Distributing.

Other advice, unhook them. When the truck sits unhook the batteries. They last exponentially longer that way.

Ido have an interstate dealer semi close I could try them. I just have never had any luck with interstate. But You are right about unhooking them, even if I get one of those disconnects.

also put a solar trickle charger or two on the dash and run the wires up front to the disconnected batteries.it will keep them topped off.
i use the cheap harbor freight solar chargers in everything. one per battery. the ones in the 02 has not been started in 8 months, but will crack rite off once the batteries are hooked up.
No go on that idea since all the trucks will be parked in my new building

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
That is easy enough to do

Ido have an interstate dealer semi close I could try them. I just have never had any luck with interstate. But You are right about unhooking them, even if I get one of those disconnects.

I used to sell Interstate, actually quit selling them because their quality got so bad. But, have had good luck with the blems. The one in my 87 has been in it since 2007. It was an Interstate blem. It's a gamble.

Personal policy, ANYTHING PARKED INSIDE GETS THE BATTERY UNHOOKED. Almost lost a shop because of a short out.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
If they will be parked in a building where you have access to power then perhaps a battery tender. They have the tenders where you can hook a number of trucks up to just one tender.

I use one on my truck since I don't drive it that much anymore but I want it to start when I need it.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If they will be parked in a building where you have access to power then perhaps a battery tender. They have the tenders where you can hook a number of trucks up to just one tender.

I use one on my truck since I don't drive it that much anymore but I want it to start when I need it.
I actually just ordered 9 tenders and the extension cords

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Swapped batteries from my tow pig. Still same S L O W cranking. Screw it, I order new cables. Drives side + has a "new" end on it and covered in tape, so that may be some of the problem but even with one battery it should turn over faster than it does

1 - 14 of 14 Posts