Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a scangauge on my truck that has been pretty well calibrated. It displays gallons per hour of fuel being consumed as a gauge.

When warm, at idle, and in neutral or park, I consume .40 gallons per hour. In drive, the engine sucks down 0.50 gallons per hour. A 20% increase.

Does anyone drop their trans to neutral at a stop to save the fuel? It's not quite as extreme as shutting off the engine as some folks do with their gas engines but if you can realize a 20% reduction....

Is there any harm to the trans done by excessive shifting into and out of drive?

·
professional slacker
632 Posts
and how long are you going to implement this savings? 20 seconds 1 minute?

I should ask what your reading this consumption ratio with??
I think he has a scangauge 2.

sent from ^^^ his phone with jedi mind tricks

·
professional slacker
632 Posts
So I have a scangauge on my truck that has been pretty well calibrated. It displays gallons per hour of fuel being consumed as a gauge.

When warm, at idle, and in neutral or park, I consume .40 gallons per hour. In drive, the engine sucks down 0.50 gallons per hour. A 20% increase.

Does anyone drop their trans to neutral at a stop to save the fuel? It's not quite as extreme as shutting off the engine as some folks do with their gas engines but if you can realize a 20% reduction....

Is there any harm to the trans done by excessive shifting into and out of drive?
You will more than likely never see the savings anyplace other than your scangauge.
No I am pretty sure it would not harm your transmission.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the scangauge 2 that I've had for years it the gauge that displays fuel rate. Given our goofy fuel system it can't be very precise, accurate though.

So it might not be much but it's 20%. It seems like I'm sitting at lights for a long time. A very common hypermiling technique is to shut off the engine when the vehicle is not moving.

What else are you doing while sitting there? May as well save some fuel.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Im paying attention to traffic so that if some guy in front of me is sitting there trying to save fuel I wont give him a little bump when hes busy putting his truck back into gear when the light is already green. Plus while your fumbleing with the gear shift Im watching all the other idiot drivers so that one doesnt hit me or anything.

You arent going to save anything by doing that, just a waste of time.

·
professional slacker
632 Posts
Yes, the scangauge 2 that I've had for years it the gauge that displays fuel rate. Given our goofy fuel system it can't be very precise, accurate though.

So it might not be much but it's 20%. It seems like I'm sitting at lights for a long time. A very common hypermiling technique is to shut off the engine when the vehicle is not moving.

What else are you doing while sitting there? May as well save some fuel.
You figure that It's 20% over the course of am hour right? So how much by volume do you think its going to be for the five min or so at the light.......by volume you would probably have to measure it in fumes and not ounces.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a fueling rate so a 20% reduction applies to every second as well as to an hour.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be able to bump the shifter into drive before causing a slow down to other drivers. Sheesh, if you aren't interested in saving fuel then leave this forum.

The better answer is that not much fuel is saved. Hardly worth the effort. If that is your answer then you've probably not spent much time reading into hypermiling techniques. We're talking about people who turn their cars around and park them facing the street when they return home at night since the warm engine will be more efficient during the turning around than a cold engine first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think I'm overthinking, just thinking. Do you have anything to add?

·
professional slacker
632 Posts
You should do a milagd check then and report back here, my guess is it will be so minimal you won't even see it in the numbers

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suspect you're right. This one thing alone won't be significant. When added to a handful of other small gains, the total might become noticable. That's the point, this is one of the small ones and not one of those big items.

I ordered a bed cover yesterday, plus guages. The cover should actually get me something that my log books will show.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I did similar stuff because of the data I saw on my Scanguage, as you did, Highbeam. Additionally, I was putting my Excursion into neutral when I knew that I had an area in my commute where I eventually wanted to slow down, but I could coast at the lower neutral fuel consumption rate rather than continuing to be under load in drive until when I let off to brake or let off to coast in gear...I think it should go into into DFCO, but I never recognized it in my MPG.

My commute didn't have much for signals where I would be sitting for a light to change.

My change in habits that I talked about above didn't give me any data that I could substantiate that I got better MPG.

A manual transmission vehicle will generally get better MPG than an automatic. Certainly the ability to select shift points and less slip is important, but I don't think it is unreasonable to look at the fact that at a stop light, the engine with a manual transmission is going to be at that neutral fuel consumption rate.

As for hypermiling, I never shut off my vehicle at stop lights (different vehicle). But I would shut it off in certain sections of my commute where I knew that I could roll for a pretty darn good distance, and then I would drop the clutch to restart before arriving at a stop sign or stop light. Some say there is savings to be had in shutting off a vehicle when you'll be stopped for 20 seconds...can't say I remember where I read that, but that was the story. And it's probably worth noting that it is situations like stop lights where hybrids have their engines off, and, further, I believe that some manufacturers are doing that with their non-hybrid vehicles.

BMW Technology Guide : Auto Start Stop function

·
Registered
205 Posts
hypermiling? thats a lot of work on a starter just to save a penny. once the starter goes then its all out the window.
I already stated that I restart my vehicle with the rolling momentum of the vehicle. No extra use of the starter.

On the flip side, if one can improve their MPG by 1MPG on a larger vehicle, like my van, that would be a savings of over $3 a tank, given my normal fill up around every 300 miles. Haven't priced a starter, but one would bank $210 in savings in 21,000 miles. Probably close to the price of a starter. Doubt one would burn up a starter in that period of time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
sorry wasnt directing towards you just making a statment . Ive seen starters last forever and some go after a month all depends. guess my comment would be more toward the guys with the autos that are doing this.

·
Registered
160 Posts
what is being referrenced in this thread is "hyper-miling" This is essentially shifting to neautral to coast whenever and as long as possible thus using as little fuel as possible and it does work asside from the safety issues.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Damn guys we drive vehicles that weigh 8000lbs on a good day. MPG's wernt even on my mind when I bought my truck. LOL If I wouldnt let it Idle for hours at a time I would probly get alot better milage.

·
97 1ton 5speed dually
64 Posts
Yeah your not going to save fuel doing that and you aren't going to save a thing by shutting it down you'll spend more shutting it down and firing it up every stop light and the wear and tear on your motor its just not worth the 50 cents you might save for an all day drive

1 - 20 of 37 Posts