Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you installed a Sirius Radio capable radio in your truck yet?

I have looked at a couple and they say that you need to install a external antenna. So did you install a external one or did you use the existing one and how is the reception?

Also which radio did you go with. I have just looked at a few and haven't made any decisions yet.

·
PSN intsigator
6,949 Posts
The sirius portion of the radio is what needs the other external antenna. I had Sirius 15 years ago and got rid of it. It was great at first as a paid service that had no commercials. Then they started playing commercials and alot of them. They said it was to help cover their operating costs, which what the paid service was supposed to cover. I canceled when they started playing even more commercials and will never get it again.

I download music to my phone now!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have it in my Explorer and like it for long drives and really haven't noticed the advertising at least on the channels that I listen to.

But I was also wondering if that extra antenna needs to be mounted outside of the vehicle or if I could get by with it just under the dash.

·
PSN intsigator
6,949 Posts
Outside, I had 1on top of my dash once and it didn't get very good reception

·
PSN intsigator
6,949 Posts
But they could have changed the antenna, but I think it would still need a view of the clear sky

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seams like I read that they recommend it outside somewhere.

Just so that you know where I am coming from, I typical take drives in my truck of 800 miles one way and can be out in the sticks well away from normal radio reception, at least channels or things that I like to listen to.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
My 97 has it, but I don't subscribe. The JVC KD-NX5000 that's in it actually has 2 little (about 1.25" square???) magnetic puck antennas that sit outside on the cowl (1 on each side). One is for the Sirius and one is for the Navigation system. Cheers!

Reactions: Bugman

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Patrick, I checked for that model on Crutchfield and wouldn't you know it has been discontinued but I found a couple that I like

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have 3 Kenwood KDC-X998s so far, because Kenwood's software recognizes more MP3s per folder than any other brand's. They're Sirius-ready, but for the exact reason heavydoc mentioned, I'll never pay for a music service with ANY commercials. If they want to cover their costs with ads, they can cover ALL their costs that way, and let me listen free. I'll only pay NOT to hear commercials.

But I keep several GBs of MP3s on my phone, and it just auto-plays from wherever it left off, in whichever vehicle I get into. And Google Maps talks over the music when I need it. The phone also works very smoothly through the radio. That's why I put the same radio in all of them - same settings & behavior. I'm considering upgrading to a 2DIN (maybe like the Kenwood DMX906S) w/backup camera & WiFi AndroidAuto in the '97.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have my antenna on my dash. One for the navigation and one for the Sirius. Never had any problems with them there. I had a Clarion radio. It is also discontinued.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to complete this post, I installed a radio and antenna.

The antenna is sitting on the dash right between the defroster vents next to the windshield and while I am getting a great reception most of the time I can tell that there is a problem with the location when I am headed almost due north. I think that the reception is blocked by the top of the cab but I haven't played around with it enough.

The radio is from Crutchfield and the whole install took only around a hour and most of that was me looking and thinking of where to drill a hole in the dash for the antenna and microphone wires. Yes this radio has a microphone for the Bluetooth in the radio to work with my cell phone.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
On mine (I don't use them, they were already installed on the truck) the microphone is located up high on the driver's A-pillar and the antenna is out on the cowl. Cheers!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As for the antenna I have thought about moving it out to the crowl area but I am going to run it where it's at for a while before moving it.

I just wanted to get it installed and then play with different locations

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts