Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 02 ext cab PSD 35's with a 6in skyjacker. stock with exeption of an edge evo chip and 4'' cat back exhaust. and i was wondering what is the best way to get more fuel milage out of my truck custom tune, meth injection,or what??? opinions/facts please!!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
jack your tire pressure, intake, compresure wheel for turbo, fuel additive

·
it's an 02 05 08
930 Posts
cold air intake,custom tunes and 38r is a good start

·
1,096 Posts
Best way to improve MPG?

Lose the 35s. Replace with OEM-size tires.

Lose the lift. Get a tonneau cover.

Keep RPM under 2000.

Better MPG guaranteed.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
4'' downpipe also.You have a cat?

·
OBS finding my way
201 Posts
You don't state the mileage on your rig.
Check your fuel pressure (should stay above 50 psi at all loads), your HPOP pressure, make sure the cycle rate and pressure is up where it belongs. The injectors, if they are not working correctly will have an effect on your fuel milage, the fuel psi and high pressure oil control how well the injectors function.
Fuel filters changed out, air cleaner condition, turbo boost (how high is it going), what oil you use, how often do you change the oil, all effect the performance of the engine which equates to fuel milage.

Good Luck

Jim

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jack, i have 206k on the truck. but i dont have any gauges exept for stock. i need to invest in a set. i just got the truck about a month ago. so little at a time im buying the goods!.

·
OBS finding my way
201 Posts
Do you know if or when your injectors have been replaced or rebuilt?
The gauges I refer to in my last post are usually found in a diagnostic tool like an Auto Enginuity program, it allows you to scan your system and read the output of your sending units as well as read codes. The AE tool allows you to do a cylinder contribution test as well as a buzz test to see if your injectors are working correctly. The AE tool also allows you to see what your high pressure oil is doing as well as the IPR control. If the injectors have 208 k on them you might want to look into replacing them. You HPOP should also be looked at to see if it is holding output pressure.

Jim

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
yeah i have a cat as of now. you thinkin i should ditch it???
Absolutely! The sd 7.3's don't need a cat.That will effect your milage alot.I get between 18-19 mpg.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am gonna look intro getting it scanned and finding out what the status is on everything. and yes everything is stock and has 206k on it. i already am wanting to get new injectors. i want a good set at a decent price. should i buy new or rebuilt? there is a big price difference. also should i upgrade the injectors? maybe 90 or 100 horse?. i am looking for good performance but most of all im lookin for the fuel milage. and i will be ditching the cat and getting a new down pipe. thanks for the help guys

·
OBS finding my way
201 Posts
HPOP performance (unless it is flat not working) has zero effect on MPG.
Really? So if my HPOP was dropping down to 1500 PSI at full throttle, the injectors have a 7-1 ratio meaning my fuel was seeing 10,500 psi injection pressure resulting in a loss of power, smoke out the back, and poor atomization of the fuel, that doesn't equal lost MPG? Lets see I replace my HPOP with an Adrenalin and my injection pressure goes up to 2800 PSI at full throttle which equals 19,600 psi fuel injection pressure, way more power, no smoke and better atomization of the fuel, means I can back off the right foot, get the same power with less fuel and do the same work using less fuel. The proof is no more smoke which means the fuel is being used to move my rig, not heat up my exhaust. It doesn't mean that my rig gets better fuel milage if I use the power, it does mean if I can back off the throttle to move my rig at the same pace it will get better fuel milage. It won't save the world in fuel mileage increase but my rig did get better fuel milage with a new HPOP.

·
OBS finding my way
201 Posts
Try a rigorous before-and-after test and get back to me.

My HPOP is dead stock. I get pretty good MPG.
I have owned my rig since June of 1998 it had 66,000 miles on it, it is now December 2010 it has 274,000 miles on it. I know exactly how my rig runs and what my fuel mileage was and is. I did my upgrades 1 at a time and tested it to make sure if a problem developed I would be able to correct it.
The 2 greatest changes were converting it to a Super Duty electric fuel system and the Adrenalin HPOP.
I notice you don't state what your HPOP out put pressure or duty cycle is, so you apply your "rigorous" testing to your own guess work. I have AE and use it to check every change I make, how do you test yours?
As far as getting back to you, no need to do that, I could care less if you believe me.

I like your anecdotal evidence, here is "anecdotal" defined. Enjoy.

Evidence, which may itself be true and verifiable, used to deduce a conclusion which does not follow from it, usually by generalizing from an insufficient amount of evidence.

So no test data, a reference to a "stock" HPOP, no milage, no history and no mileage numbers to your "pretty good milaeage".
I will get back to, NOT.:doh:

Jim

·
brandon
778 Posts
Dave is kind of the man when it comes to mpg, if he told me to piss in the tank for better mpg, I would do it.:cool:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts