Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share a simple mod I did this past Saturday to my factory runningboards. I really like the styling of the OEM running boards on our trucks but couldn't stand how far down they hung. Other alternative was the rock slider look but didn't think black would look good on a white/tan color combo Lariat. I got to looking at the factory mounts and saw how easy it would be to shorten them.

Took a Metabo to the steel plates and cut off about 3" from the top. This leaves the factory slotted home forthe upper bolts and then drilled a new set about 3.5" directly below for the lower bolts. Scuffed thw brackets with a scotch bright pad then painted flat black.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks great, nice mod.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Do they still work? Do you have plenty of pad to step on?

2005 F350 CCLB FX4

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Ahh! You beat me to it! Got mine sittin next to the truck right now was gonna do the same thing. Glad I could se a pic first. Looks great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just did mine also. Cut top off to use slotted hole for the top bolt. Tightened them up and used center punch to mark bottom holes for drilling. I also cut the plastic bracket covers shorter and reinstalled them. Think I'm going to remove the covers though. They make the brackets too noticeable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just did mine also. Cut top off to use slotted hole for the top bolt. Tightened them up and used center punch to mark bottom holes for drilling. I also cut the plastic bracket covers shorter and reinstalled them. Think I'm going to remove the covers though. They make the brackets too noticeable.
yep I left off the covers as well and put on a fresh coat of flat back to make them as least noticeable as possible

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got some from Westin (I think) that tuck up real close to the body. I love them because they don't hang down like the stock ones do. Just gotta turn your foot forward to fit on the board. This mod makes me wish I had the stock boards, good job!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did mine 2 or 3 years ago and never regretted it they look better on a lowered truck especially

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Anyone else got pictures? Thinking about leaving mine a little lower than OP's

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know this is an old post but does anyone have more pictures and or closer pics of this mod? How about pics of marking up to cut and drill them?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know this is an old post but does anyone have more pictures and or closer pics of this mod? How about pics of marking up to cut and drill them?
I second this. I've been wanting to do this but I'm hesitant cause I'm unsure of where to cut it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts