Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy that doesn't live local just bought his first ford truck, a 1991 7.3 with lots of new parts and body for a good price. Anyway he swears it isn't turbo charged!? Shouldn't it be?

·
Davey B
930 Posts
Nope, they didint come with turbo's till 94.5 i beleive. You could get an aftermarket turbo for them but they didnt come with it from the factory

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Nope, they didint come with turbo's till 94.5 i beleive. You could get an aftermarket turbo for them but they didnt come with it from the factory
No I believe thats just when they were first called powerstrokes. Had a buddy with a 93 idi with a turbo on it. They were simply called 7.3 Turbo Diesels.

·
Administrator
8,566 Posts
first turbo installed on idi called turbo diesel in mid year 93.
first powerstroke diesel mid year 94.
91 will be a non turbo 7.3 idi

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Relativly easy to swap one in? He really wants to and I told him it can't be that bad since it's the same basic engine and Ford made it in a turbo version later.

·
Administrator
8,566 Posts
not sure about the ats unit, but it takes about 5 hours to put a banks turbo on.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
I think the biggest part would be that you need a new exhaust manifold on the one side...at least I'm pretty sure you do

·
Administrator
8,566 Posts
not with the banks units. they use the stock manifolds

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Oh ok...I just remember reading about ATS's unit and they sent you a new manifold for one of the sides the driver's side IIRC

·
SLOW LEARNER
739 Posts
My original engine had a stock turbo on my early 94

·
indirectly strokin
1,152 Posts
some 93s and the 94s came with turbos, but deffenatly not in 91. My truck has the older ATS turbo kit on it with a Garrett turbo, and seems to have the factory manifolds, just has a up pipe attached to them instead of a standard y-pipe

·
Administrator
8,566 Posts
yup. sure did. the early 94 came as a IDI turbo diesel, and later as a powerstroke.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts