Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got new firestone Transforce tires. I wanted all black, but ended up with RWL mounted on the inside. It can look cheezey some times. Is there a way to gets these black. Can I sand off the first layer of rubber?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was found to say grind it off but his daughter and my wife figured this out already.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Good one.

I would say sand it off, or maybe even a razor blade to just cut the top .0000001 inch off

·
Registered
202 Posts
In the hot rod world we buy passenger car tires with white letters and sand them to make them wide white walls as there is a large strip of white rubber in there to make the white letters.

I'm not sure how truck tires are made, but would be careful sanding on them. I would probably look for a black tire type paint or rubber die.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Thats interesting, I never thought of that

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
they make a tire paint for coloring them yellow, white etc. I'm sure black is in there also.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Go through a few drive through's I'm sure the letters will come right off lol.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
My brother-inlaw also does the tire into the curb for twenty feet when he parks the truck and that shaved off the black rubber raised letters to reveal white rubber underneath. Weird.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
hummm... Black spray paint... 98 cents a can at wal-mart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
it's on the INSIDE... personally I would ignore it but a can of black rustoleum would get it done
I kinda gotta agree with the rustoleum paint, get the fusion paint that is made for plastic and vinyl, it should stick for a while.... Course clean the tires well before you paint them. Another thing you could try is the liquid electrical tape or the rubber handle dip that you dip the handles of your pliers in. Don't really know how long any of these will last but it will cover them up.

I don't think that the sanding will work though, maybe lightly in order to clean and roughen them up to paint.

I had the same thing on a couple of sets of tires but I just let them get dirty and just looked the other way cuz my truck wasn't lifted enough to notice to offly bad.

Let us know what you do and how it works.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quick and easy fix Clydesdale...go back to the Firestone that installed the tires and ask them for a can of "Tire Black". It comes in an aerosol spray and applies just like spray paint. Unlike normal spray paint it stays pliable and will not crack over time.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
If it was me id run the white on the outside. Always makes the truck stand out in my opinion

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.