Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering how "normal" it is for the engine to shudder when shutting down?

seems that my whole engine shakes pretty bad when turning the key off.

my dad's F350 doesn't shake near as badly. i'm wondering if the motor mounts are to suspect?

thanks.

bj

·
single stacked stroker
120 Posts
Is your truck an auto or manual my buddies 95 rattled pretty bad when he turned it off, it was the factory dual mass flywheel going bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep, as said before if it is a manual it is probably because of the dual mass flywheel going bad. My truck is a manual and I'm pretty sure I still have the stock DMF with 273K on it...when I shut it off it shakes a little but you can hear something loose rolling around inside the flywheel for about 5 seconds haha. I'm going to get a Valair clutch and a solid flywheel conversion soon.

·
Banned
333 Posts
if i shut mine down with the truck in gear and clutch in the rattle isnt that bad but in neutral with clutch in it rattles like hell.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i did a full southbend single mass conversion and my truck still rattles way more then my buddies 01. but his is an auto

i dont know what it could be.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
its normal,have you ever been in an otr truck when its shut off?just about any big diesel will shake when ya shut er down.and when i installed my single mass clutch it made zero difference.

·
Banned
333 Posts
auto shouldnt rattle much if any, the manuals are the ones that make all the noise.. normal to me and everyone else i know who has a manual.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Check your engine and transmission mounts, the manuals do not shake much more than an auto unless they have an issue, I've driven them with a single, dual disk, and the stocker, they don't shake hardly anymore than my auto.

My manual truck didn't rattle at all when you'd shut it down, just a little shake.

Dave

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i do have a 5 spd and the stock dual mass...i have the valair setup ready to go in...just need to find a trans jack to make the heavy $h!t tolerable;)

i know that the diesels to shake a little when shutting down, but mine really shakes...much more than my dad's F350 PSD/auto.

i guess will have to check the mounts to be sure.

there are no strange noises or anything when shutting down, just a strong shudder.

thanks.
bj

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
finally got the clutch/flywheel replaced to a single mass.

the shudder is gone. the dual mass flywheel was totally worn out.

thanks.

bj

1 - 10 of 10 Posts