Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an E99 F250 with 196k miles. All stock except for Gearhead 6 position chip, '01 PCM & IDM (all have been in truck for a year now). Installed Compustar alarm/remote starter about 2 months ago.
Ok, when I installed my remote start it would sometimes not start on the first cycle thru. So I tried alternator sensing instead of Tach signal, worked for about a week. So then I tapped into injector wire at IDM for engine sensing wire, worked for awhile then started not starting on first try again. Decided to install a stronger starter to turn engine over faster to help remote starter. Ordered a Powermaster Ultra Duty PM9050 at Advance. Picked it up the next day. Went home disconnected & removed old starter. Went to install new one & apparently the Super Duty needs an adapter to fit. Called Powermaster & they shipped me an adapter with bolts (makes starter a PM9051 now) for free. A week later part comes in, so I install & clean up connections to starter spray some terminal protector on also.
Temps were about 29* outside last nite. Started truck up (turns over quicker) let it run for about 25-30mins while I was getting ready. Drive to put some fuel in (had 1/4 tank now had 3/4 after fuel up) less than w miles, left it running while fueling. Get on highway go about 5 miles at about 55-60MPH. Then all of the sudden it just starts slowing down. Radio (kindaoud), heater, headlights & cluster was still on. Thought it popped outta gear so coasted to side of road. Turned radio down, realized truck was not running & noticed OD light on shifter was on (not blinking). Turned key to run & noticed that WTS did not come on, also fuel pump was not coming on (can hear it from in cab) & OD light still on. Turn key to start & it just turns over but doesn't crank. Try this 3-4 times. Take key out & start to Google. After about 5 mins of Google I try to start it again. This time OD light is off, WTS comes on & fuel pump is working. Fires up like normal. So I decide to drive off. Nope, get about 100' shuts off again. Same thing again OD light on, no WTS & no fuel pump. Wait about 5mins starts right up. Decide to not go over 15MPH & try to stay in 1st or 2nd gear all way home. Eventually got up to 35MPH with out any issues & made it home.
What would cause this? CPS or maybe I let the truck idle to long after hooking starter up (since it was disconnected from battery for about a week) & the transmission went out of the "relearn" phase. Could be why OD light was on??? I'm lost, any help would be great. I'll be checking back to thread periodically. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think I'd pull the alarm out completely and see what happens first thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alarm/remote start was working correctly except for the sensing wire (apparently a common problem with diesels from looking in the net). It all happened after starter install & being disconnected from batteries for a week. Weird. Appreciate suggestion will definetely consider if it persists (which I hope doesn't).

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
tested batteries seperately?

and no codes set?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
My cps crapped out, just a month ago, had symptoms like that.
I did a crime stoppers remote start, did mine on a timed delay.
Ie energizes glow plugs for 20 seconds and cranks for another preset time ...half sec or something like that. Worked decent till i lost a remote.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hasn't acted up again so far. I started it up & didn't let it set for 30mins this time (so it wouldn't go outta "Torqshift relearn phase" for 4R100 tranny). Drove it down the road to let the tranny relearn the "Torqshift pattern" & so far so good. I appreciate any & all help I get with my concerns.
Oh yeah my Super Duty is slightly modified. I've had to relocate PCM, IDM, VSS & some other things. But it all works (been running it for about a year now) even OBD II works.
Had to mount VSS at transfer case due to Rockwell axles.

Doesn't look like Super Duty any more but it is.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I started it up & didn't let it set for 30mins this time (so it wouldn't go outta "Torqshift relearn phase" for 4R100 tranny). Drove it down the road to let the tranny relearn the "Torqshift pattern" & so far so good.
Ive never heard of anything like that.

I thought "Torqushift" was a 5R100 tranny.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My bad 4R100 is called "adaptive learning" strategy. Torqshift is the 5R110.

Shift Strategy (4R100 automatic transmission)

To account for customer driving habits and conditions, your 4R100 automatic transmission electronically controls the shift quality by using an adaptive learning strategy. The adaptive learning strategy is maintained by power from the battery. When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the transmission must relearn its adaptive strategy. Optimal shifting will resume within a few hundred kilometers(miles) of operation.

If the shift quality does not improve within a few hundred kilometers(miles) of operation, or if the downshifts or other throttle conditions do not function normally, see your dealer or a qualified service technician as soon as possible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: ***Shutdown going down highway???*** UPDATE

Forgot to post my fix. Everything was working normal for a couple days then me and a buddy were leaving Hooters and it decided to cut off. I noticed it happened when i shut my door. So I crank it back up and shut my door again, nothing happened this time. Shut door again, cuts off. Only thing I could come up with was something loose in fuse panel. So I start wiggling fuses. I get to #30 and truck shuts off. Make it home and look at fuse. Prongs on fuse had been bent, I'm assuming to help the fuse stay in. Looked at where fuse goes in and there was a pretty wide gap in contacts. Put a new fuse in and it had major play/movement. Took the black panel off so I could adjust contacts, adjusted some other ones while I was at it. Haven't had problem since. Hope this can help some body else out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts