Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· frnki4fngrs1982
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i got my truck back thursday, from the body shop after 3 weeks and drove it straight form the collision center at the dealership into the service bay to get the oil changed and tires rotated. after they changed the oil i got about a mile down the road and it started blowing white smoke and the motor was sputtering real bad. i was able to get back to the dealership and after they looked at it they said they might have got some oil in the fuel somehow but it was nothing serious and they couldnt find anything wrong with it so i left and it ran fine. then yesterday when i was on my way home, i was going about 60mph and the truck started to slow down and when i pushed the accelerator it just sputtered and then shut off all together. i was able to get it off the road but its not easy trying to turn with no power steering. so has anyone heard off this problem?

· Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like a fuel problem, I had the same exact symptoms when i ran outta fuel (i thought i could make it to a gas station) .... maybe something is clogged in the fuel line somewhere, filters, etc..

· frnki4fngrs1982
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i got a call from the dealership today. turns out that i got bad gas. i guess the mechanic tested the diesel and it was about 15-20% water. they said that it destroyed the fuel system and i will cost between 6-10k dollars to fix. obviously insurance dosent cover this so i attempted to get info from the gas station and pretty much got accused of sabotage on my own truck. no matter how i tried i couldnt convince the owner that the payments on this truck were enough to deal with, why would i want to do this to myself. after all that i got nothing accomplished. is there anything else i can do? i'll try anything at this point not to have to come out of pocket for this.

· 6.4 Stroker
147 Posts
well i got a call from the dealership today. turns out that i got bad gas. i guess the mechanic tested the diesel and it was about 15-20% water. they said that it destroyed the fuel system and i will cost between 6-10k dollars to fix. obviously insurance dosent cover this so i attempted to get info from the gas station and pretty much got accused of sabotage on my own truck. no matter how i tried i couldnt convince the owner that the payments on this truck were enough to deal with, why would i want to do this to myself. after all that i got nothing accomplished. is there anything else i can do? i'll try anything at this point not to have to come out of pocket for this.
I would go to the station, and collect a sample or something ASAP. That way, if they still have the bad fuel, you will know for sure.

· Registered
1,250 Posts
that sucks. you could probably find somewhere to do the work cheaper and just as good if your comin out of pocket. try to get a sample of the fuel there and test it like said earlier. was it a big gas chain?

· frnki4fngrs1982
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it was a pretty big chain. but im not sure now that it was bad gas at all. im thinking the truck was hurt by something they did during the oil change. have any of you guys gotten the message to drain the water seperator on your trucks? if so, how often?
also do they have to take the cab off the truck in order to fix things like fuel pumps or injectors? im just wanting to make sure im gonna be payin for something extra.

· Registered
1,250 Posts
it was a pretty big chain. but im not sure now that it was bad gas at all. im thinking the truck was hurt by something they did during the oil change. have any of you guys gotten the message to drain the water seperator on your trucks? if so, how often?
also do they have to take the cab off the truck in order to fix things like fuel pumps or injectors? im just wanting to make sure im gonna be payin for something extra.
never got a light. im pretty sure there gonna pull the cab for a hpfp or injectors. i think it could be done without but a stealership will deffinetly pull it imo. what you think they couldve done on the oil change?

· frnki4fngrs1982
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im not sure what they could have done but i remember while i was there i was talking to another guy who was having his fuel filters changed. when he went to leave and his truck didnt start. the service advisor said they might have let air in the system but he was there for another hour before they were able to get it running right. it just sounds like they are not to good at what they do to me. i never got a light for the water seperator until i started the truck to leave after the oil change.
anyone know of a good shop around mckinney, tx?

· <---new toy
857 Posts
If it is a large fuel company you might try corporate... you will want to be able to prove purchase, and some documentation from your dealship will go a long ways....Best of luck[/QU

This happened to me In my wife's car. stopped and filled it up (go figure) anyway some jack @ss tank truck driver put diesel in the super unleaded tank in the ground. Ford does not warranty water in fuel, but I would get the truck and take it home. pull the tank off and drain all of the fuel then replace it. it is the cheapest way, and who knows you might just do that and filters and be back on the road. just remember they like your wallet way better than Fords wallet. IT PAYS BETTER!

· Registered
281 Posts
I am a Ford parts Manager and we have seen a rash of 6.4 trucks coming in with bad fuel and or water in the fuel. These trucks unlike the 7.3 and 6.0 now using the hy-pressure common rail pump cannot tolerate water in the fuel at the first light and Ford can tail through the computer when and how long the light was on. You better shut it down and get it looked at. The water wrecks the high pressure pump quick it makes the pump come apart inside and then it makes metal which circulates through the pump into the lines into the fuel cooler into the fuel rails and then the injectors then it goes into the return lines and into the tank into the sender and then all back through everywhere again and now everything is toast and your right your looking anywhere from $6000.00 to $10,000.00 dollars we are seeing these in our shop everyday. Insurance will sometimes pay one time. It is bad. We have heard the Dodge common rails are the same way. I have not heard about the duramax yet.

· Diesel Sled Head
1,102 Posts
YEP what he said. Call your insurance company we have seen a few also and thier insurance has covered them for bad fuel....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.