Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new here, and this is my first post. I bought a 2004 CC 4x4 F350 a week ago used, and it has right at 144k on the ticker. It was running great when I got it, but starting yesterday it has developed a shudder. It only does it when I hold the throttle at a constant speed, and when it starts to shudder, I can step on it, or let off, and it will go away. It also feels like it has a lot less power, and the fuel mileage has dropped off a little as far as I can tell (only had it a week). Looking for advice. From what I have read here it sounds like it could be a bad FICM or Injectors, but I need to know what I need to do as far as figuring out where the problem is so that I can fix it. I am ready to start using this truck for towing, and was hoping to make a trip this coming Wednesday to pick up a jeep.

·
Still learning
368 Posts
Sounds like a injector stiction issue. Check for codes or contribution test. Possibly try Rev-x since it comes and goes. JMHO

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I do the contribution test? Is that something a scan tool does? Do I have to take it to the dealer for this? I am a pretty good mechanic, but I am brand new to diesel's.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
Is yours an early or late 2004? You can tell by the location of the ICP sensor. A late '04 will have the ICP on the passenger valve cover.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a late 2004 I am pretty sure. It has the ICP on the passenger valve cover. I could check in the door jam if need be.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
9/29/2003 was the transition date.

That shudder can come from a number of causes. The turbo sticking is a likely cause (in addition to the stiction already mentioned). The late model year ICP's aren't as prone to issues as the early ones.

Do you have a boost gauge?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No truck is bone stock..... I just bought it. I did just order some of the Rev X you mentioned so I plan on trying that. I would like to do an EGR delete, a turbo back exhaust, and maybe a very mild tune. Not looking for a power monster, just wanting a good tow rig, and the best mileage I can get from it.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
One main thing to make sure of .....

Proper oil (5W40 or 10W30 are best in cold weather) and oil filter, and proper fuel filters. Do not exceed the recommended fluid and filter change intervals.

Also - Tranny fluid change (or flush) every 30k miles as well as the external tranny filter change.

Another also - please make sure your batteries are healthy and also your alternator. They can ruin a FICM easily. Also, you can do a search on FICM voltage testing if you are thinking the FICM may be weak (test it at KOEO, cranking, and at 2000 rpms). It should never be below 45V, but I would be disappointed in mine if it dropped below 47V.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already had the oil changed, and the tranny serviced the day after I bought it. I had to order the fuel filters, and got them in a couple days ago. Plan on getting them changed out in the next couple days. I watched a video on how to check the FICM, and I will probably do that at the same time that I do the fuel Filters. Might also go ahead and clean the EGR at the same time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
im no mechanic but i have had my share of the 6 leaker problems mine did the same thing last week just had the turbo cleaned and rebuilt the vanes were sticking ,as for rev x good stuff but hot shots secret is just as good in my opinion and cheaper but i would have it checked out before i start replacing parts

·
Registered
52 Posts
the ficm is a easy repair but im almost certain the truck would not start well if ficm was bad it just involves re soildering a few resistors to the circuit board on the power supply

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
the ficm is a easy repair but im almost certain the truck would not start well if ficm was bad
True most of the time, but not all of the time. I agree it is a long shot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I am going to test the FICM voltage, change the fuel filter, and clean the EGR hopefully this evening. Then once my order of Rev X comes in, I will add it to the oil, and then we will see how things go. If it doesn't get any better from there, I will probably try to find a reputable diesel mechanic around here to scan it and see if I have a bad injector.

·
Registered
177 Posts
when I purchased mine it did the same thing-not everyday just once in a while when i first got going down the road. Ran fine Just once in a while it would shutter like that. well about 6000 miles after it frist did this I lost injector number 5. Replaced it and never had it happen again. I went and bought AE software for my laptop and pluged into it and would drive it to work (42 miles one way) and never did it with the laptop plugged into it. Then one day started it at work 5 mins before i left to head home and it had a dead cylinder got it home and replace number 5 injector (thats the cylinder code I was getting on the AE software) never had that problem again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmmm............ I need to check into that AE software. Today I replaced the Fuel Filters, and cleaned the EGR (man was it gunked up). I will probably pull it again in a day or two and clean it again and replace the O-rings (I didn't have them today or I would have done it today). Seemed to run a little better after I did that stuff, but while driving this afternoon, I lost all power for about 45 seconds, and was pouring out white smoke. Then bam, all the power came back and no more smoke. Seemed to run a ton better after that happened for the rest of the night. Any ideas?

·
Registered
162 Posts
i have an 06 and it shutters at bout 60,,wierdnew ficm,spotless egr fresh tranny flush,fresh oil,keep me posted on this,mine jus started doin it,no codes are showing on the edge juice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts