Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the super duty tensioner on my 97 and now Its shredding serpentine belts. It wasn't doing this before just squeaking. Anyone ever have this happen after putting the dual tensioner on?

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Check the alignment of the pulleys.

Reactions: jamiesaun

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like the new tensioner is the issue. The belt is moving to the back of the idler on the tensioner. I don't see anything else right now that would be wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking I might need to take the alt bracket off again and make sure everything is tight and the tensioner isn't cocked a little bit

·
Native Texan
9,090 Posts
yeah probably something is cocked cause I did mine and it had worked flawlessly on my truck. because the motorcraft tensioners both move alignment is very critical.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any tricks to checking alignment other than something obvious when looking at them?

·
Registered
151 Posts
It seems like the new tensioner is the issue. The belt is moving to the back of the idler on the tensioner. I don't see anything else right now that would be wrong.
Are you sure you have the belt threaded right? Looking at your pix the right side pulley is showing the ribs of the belt? That would not be correct

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
The ribbed tensioner pulley is supposed to be to the right of the smooth one.

But the pic is waaaaaay too small to see the alignment, and looking forward rather than straight down. Get a shot straight down, and don't resize it down so much.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you did not get everything cut down on the on the alternator bracket far enough, it will cause an interference issue and push the right side of the tensioner forward, which will make your belt want to walk to the back and get shredded.

I would pull the tensioner back off and make sure there are no clearance issues with the alternator bracket.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The ribbed tensioner pulley is supposed to be to the right of the smooth one.

But the pic is waaaaaay too small to see the alignment, and looking forward rather than straight down. Get a shot straight down, and don't resize it down so much.
Thats correct. I cant tell by the pic if thats the belt or the pulley. If its the belt its upside down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts