Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 F250 6.0 turbski, 6 speed standard
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck had 235/85r16 tires stock, and specs 65 psi front, and 80 in the back. But trucks that were factory equipped 265/75 tires spec 55 psi front and 70 in the back. If you follow that trend, for every 30mm wider you go on tire size, you lower the psi by 10, my new 295 tires should be at 45 front and 60 in the back. But that seems quite low. So I’m wondering if there’s like a graph or a table that shows what tire pressure is appropriate for larger than stock tires.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hmm.. I have never seen that (f course I have never looked for that information either). I have 285/75r16 tires on my truck and I run 60 psi in front and 55 in the rear unless I put a load on the truck at which point I fill the rears to 65 - 80 psi (I fill based on how much I think I'll be carrying). Now as to why I picked that pressure.. I parked the truck on some flat pavement and let air out until the tread was contacting the pavement.

Cj

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
i do similar, but i use a chalk line across the tread. go gently around the block when the chalk line wears completely off the tire, you have proper air pressure.
on my 02 that is 55 front and 30 rear when empty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmm.. I have never seen that (f course I have never looked for that information either). I have 285/75r16 tires on my truck and I run 60 psi in front and 55 in the rear unless I put a load on the truck at which point I fill the rears to 65 - 80 psi (I fill based on how much I think I'll be carrying). Now as to why I picked that pressure.. I parked the truck on some flat pavement and let air out until the tread was contacting the pavement.

Cj
You should be following recommended tire pressure indicated on your door jam. For my Excursion it’s 50psi front and 55psi rear. And rotate every oil change (5K).

·
Administrator
33,266 Posts
Most of us know better than to run the max psi all the time
and door jambs are for factory installed tires

the chalk method is the best IMO and max psi for towing ( specially in the rear )

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
The tire pressure is something that you need to play around with to learn just what you need in both the front and rear.

The calk method is a good one to use if you are running empty most of the time. It will show you where you are going to get the best mileage out of your tires.

On my truck I am still running just the stock tires and rims. I'll run 55 in the fronts and 50 in the rears empty and then if I load it up I'll adjust the rears to the load and sometimes I'll air up the fronts a little

Reactions: Zmann

·
Registered
2004 F250 6.0 turbski, 6 speed standard
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tire pressure is something that you need to play around with to learn just what you need in both the front and rear.

The calk method is a good one to use if you are running empty most of the time. It will show you where you are going to get the best mileage out of your tires.

On my truck I am still running just the stock tires and rims. I'll run 55 in the fronts and 50 in the rears empty and then if I load it up I'll adjust the rears to the load and sometimes I'll air up the fronts a little
I’ve been running 50 in the front, and 65 in the back. Seems to be happy there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts