Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Should I even consider an 03-04

5K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  black2door 
#1 ·
Well, I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but here goes nothing.

I'm thinking about converting to a Ford, I've been a diehard Dodge guy up until now. Only problem with Dodges are that they truly are an awesome motor surrounded by the biggest POS body ever built. Been looking at Powerstrokes, really wanting a manual. Found a couple of 03 to 04s around me with 6 speeds for fairly cheap (really cheap compared to the same truck with a 7.3) Should I even consider them? Plans are to keep them mostly stock, I would definitely do the EGR delete and coolant filter. Along with probably a new or upgraded oil cooler (advice on that one if ya got it)

What are the main reasons people say to avoid the 03-04 6.0 like the plague?

#2 ·
Like everything else depends on the previous owner and maint. that was done.

My buddy has an 03 with 200k+ on it, and he has only been through a turbo and an oil cooler. Others arent as lucky. Search the forum, there is a lot of info on here on that topic.

#3 ·
The late 03 and early 04s eat injectors and hpops. I have done the hpop on mine after owning it for 6 months. I would do the oil cooler the stock ones are fine, change the gold coolant to a elc coolant and do the filter. The 03 and 04 are better on head gaskets, the egr coolers are better also but do the delete.

#5 ·
Typical internet. Love my early 06. Rolling with 177k on it and tuned for the last 7-8 k of that. Had to do oil cooler since the ac shop put the wrong coolant in and one injector.

#7 ·
if you are comeing from a cummins motor, it will be hard to like a 6.0l, but easy to love a ford truck, i would say look more for an 05 and newer b/c it will ride nicer and i think they look better, early/all 6.0l have issues and a lot of them, but by now most issues are easy to diagnoise, odds are someone has already had that problem with it, not cheap to fix, it gets cheaper if you are a wrench, but parts are sill pricey, i love how people bash on 6.0l, i love hearing about how much people hate them b/c it drives the price down, and if you go to a used car dealer it is easy to pick them apart. if they sit for a period of time odds are it will run like s#$% makes it even easier to get the truck cheaper. the only way you will be happy is with a fummins, but then again wouldn't we all. as the others have stated buying a used truck is always a gamble if some one clogged up a oil cooler, over heated it, and blew the head gasket, then dumped bars stop leak in there, you will be in for a whole bunch of problems, but that goes for any used car or truck.

#8 ·
Run like the plague. The truth is these engines are as bad as the reputation that follows them, especially, the 2003-2004. The lawsuits are endless as are the class action lawsuits. The 6.0l was the demise of one of the most successful ventures in automotive history,Ford/Navistar. Ford even had to buy back some 500 of these trucks. Why would you even consider trading in perhaps the greatest diesel engine ever put in a pickup for a truck with the worst diesel in the modern era or any era for that matter. Do yoursdelf a favor and spend a little more and get a well cared for 7.3l.

#17 ·
i love seeing post like this, this is why you can get a a 2004 cc lariet with 125,000 miles on it for like $12,000. i do feel bad if you where one of the original 6.0l owners who had to learn about the issues the hard way, or worse had someone you love die in an ambulance, cause the truck broke down and didn't make it to the hospitial in time.

#9 ·
I have had two. An 03 ECSB with the 6.0L AT and a 05 CCLB. I loved my 03 and would still be driving it if it werent for a horse trailer wanting to hydroplane behind us. I like the 05 as well, just long as hell. Both motors had over 250k on them: 03 had 290k when wrecked, the 05 currently has 278k and still going stong.

Recommendations: Full EGR Delete, Programming only w/ SCT.

#10 ·
Yes, I am coming from a Cummins, 2 of them actually. I love the Cummins, but not the truck around it. Had a buddy buy a 7.3 6 speed 2001 not long ago and I kind of fell in love with the truck. I'm thinking I will search long and hard for a 7.3 manual, and only buy a 6.0 if it is just to good a deal to pass up. Not that I'm afraid to work on a 6.0 or anything, I wrench on all my own stuff, just figure I'd be better starting with a more solid platform from the get go. And wouldn't we all love to have a Fummins, maybe one day I will make one.

#11 ·
I have owned a 2003 6.0 and currently own a 2004 6.0. Both of the trucks were bought new and maintained according to the owner's manual.

On the 04; I had a wiring harness rub through, which was fixed under warranty. I also had to clean the EGR valve at 86,000 miles (which I have since deleted).

Other than the two "issues" with the 04; it's only been filters, fluids, tires and batts.

I tow a 32' gooseneck cattle trailer loaded to the gills and a gooseneck flat bed with as many round bales of hay that I can load onto it.

YMMV if you buy any vehicle that has not had decent preventative mantenance.

#12 ·
I too have always been a Dodge man but you are absolutely correct about the truck not being well built. We ranch so our trucks take a lot of abuse and work everyday. I have a 2001 F250 with the 7.3 and absolutely love it. It will never have the power that my Dodge has but that is ok with me. The truck is much better built than the Dodge. My truck has 58k miles on it now and I plan to keep it forever.

#13 ·
I went from a 12v to a 6.0. And I love the ford a lot. At 168k miles all I've done is balljoints, tie rod ends, and what's in my sig. This is the first truck I haven't thought of selling since bought. It's way more comfy then the dodge. Although gets way worse fuel mileage. But that's on 34's. I would get an 05 or newer.

#15 ·
you have to consider what you want to do with the truck, judgeing by the fact you want a manual that mean your not looking to build a race truck, if you just want a solid truck for work and only a little play you can't go wrong with a 7.3l they are hard to find in decent shape but if you look, you will find one, you may have to drive half way across the country to get it but it would be worth it, if you want to make a mild race truck 500-600hp then i would say go with the 6.0. if you want big horse power you will have to go with a 6.4l. most 6.0l guys makeing big power have a lot of money in them and are working on them all the time.

#16 ·
I have a 2003 6L. I love the truck, only issue that I have had in 175k is the ficm. If you decide on a used 6L, do your self a favor and get an oasis on it. It will give you some info on the warranty work that was performed on it.
Just my $.02.

#18 ·
The real problem with the 6.0 is it uses TTY head bolts. Under constant load, the head bolts tend to stretch and the result is a blown head gasket. Studs do not have the give that the bolts do. Given the fact that a diesel truck is by nature designed for work, this is a fatal flaw. As to being able to get these trucks at a cheap price, anyone checked the price of a 78 olds 350 diesel lately? These also can be had at a reduced price..

#20 ·
we could go round and round about how a 6.0 sucks i was just saying how people's perception of the 6.0l makes them cheap you can get a 6.0l for thousands less than a 7.3l or any other truck and if you are able to do the work yourself you can put $1,500 in to a 6.0l and have a pretty reliable truck and to me the 6.0l is worth it because the 5r110, in stock form, is a far better trans than a 4r100 a 48re and even the allison, and you can't compare early gm diesels to anything, gm almost single handedly killed the light duty diesel market. in the 80's.

#22 ·
For a long time, I had the same poor opinion of the 6.0L, especially the '03-'04. In fact I had avoided all 6.0L trucks like the plague. I'm a die-hard 7.3L guy and the only reason I even looked at a 6.0L was so that we could have a test-bed to play with on the dyno. I'll tell you, purchasing our 6.0L was one of the best decisions we've ever made. We have a late 2004 (later style heads with ICP sensor in passenger valve cover) with 280K+ miles. Head gaskets have been replaced, heads were studded, and the EGR Cooler is a distant memory. Outside of that, the truck is otherwise stock... Stock intake, exhaust, turbo, and injectors. I ABSOLUTELY ABUSE this truck with probably close to 300 (or maybe more) dyno runs, I beat this thing to death on the street, and it's also our race truck. Aside from a failed CPS about 6 months ago, this truck has been completely flawless and I quite often find myself wanting to drive this over my 7.3L... and I LOVE my 7.3L. The responsiveness is great and the 5 spd trans always keeps the engine in a happy RPM range. I know you're looking for a manual, so shifting isn't a concern for you.

Like everyone else said, it's all about how well the vehicle was maintained. The 6.0L doesn't have a history of bottom end failure, just head gaskets, EGR Coolers, and Oil Coolers. Head gaskets suck to do of course, the EGR system is a waste of time and is usually the first thing to get scrapped, and there are upgraded Oil Coolers which I would do if doing head gaskets, but once done [correctly] the engine is pretty solid.

Do your homework, test drive the truck, check maintenance records (if any), and get the best deal you can. At worst, figure on spending around $3000 to $4000 on the top end in case you should have a gasket failure. If you include that in the overall price of the vehicle and it still fits your budget, then it's worth considering.

Good luck and happy hunting!

#23 ·
:whs: X 1,000,000!!!!

#24 ·
All BS aside...my 2003 has been great.
Only trouble it has ever given me was blown head gaskets...once on factory ford gaskets and bolts (Over 185000 km's on Eric's tunes)...once with ARP's and factory ford head gaskets (225cc injectors, 66mm turbo, etc.)....and once on H-11's and Victor Reinz head gaskets.(225cc injectors, twin turbos, etc, etc.)

....any other problem with it was "Self Induced".

Ever issue on it or any other truck can be fixed with: "Nothin' But Time, and Money Babe!"

#27 ·
I will agree that the 6.0l problems do not come from the tty bolt but I will also agree the 6.0l is not a great engine not even close, but it is not that bad. people sue automakers all the time and auto makers buy back cars all the time. I work for Hyundai and we always have people looking for buy backs. And when someone post up asking about a 6.0l I think it is good for him to hear from a few disgruntled consumers so he can get a good overall idea of what they may be getting in to.

#28 ·
Know the issues. Egr/ oil coolers. Tty bolts. Address them and get some gauges. After that you shouldn't have a problem. I loved my early 04. I swear it was faster than my 06. I loved the fact it had 16" rims and tires were cheaper. But in the 06's defense I do like the factory trailer brake and interior better. The only reason I didn't keep my 04 was after some MILD abuse the tranny was not working correctly and the dealer offered me a lot in trade for the 06. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 03-04 though if the money was right.

#33 ·
. I loved my early 04. I swear it was faster than my 06.
The 6.0Ls were detuned in the fuel delivery system in 05. The 03-04 trucks were either at a higher fuel pressure and/or timing... Cant remember directly the details...maybe one of the other guys can chip in on exactly what it was.

I agree as well.. My '03 would eat my '05.. Unfortunately the '03 is no longer with us. Rest in Pieces.

#29 ·
honestly spend a little more money and go with the 7.3 or at least an 06 because you will need to get the upgraded head studs head gasket egr delete and so on and from what I've heard the late 05 and early 06s they've had the most of the kinks worked out but you can never go wrong with the 7.3

#31 ·
Didn't they have a flux capacitor in the 06+ trucks as well?....
There are a lot of misinformed people I guess. 03-07 all use tty bolts from the factory. They did not change them. In 06 they changed the heads so they could build 6.4 heads on the same production line. I know there are alot of die hard 7.3 guys. A lot of them that have never owned a 6.0. I wouldn't even consider paying a premuim though for a older truck like people do with the 7.3. I've seen people try to get rediculous money out of them.

#32 ·
If you decide to go with a 6.0 put away money just incase it needs head gaskets, Egr and oil cooler, FICM, turbo. After all that is done then you'll have a reliable truck if the work was performed correctly. Or you could just go with another truck that is known not to need any upgraded aftermarket parts to make it reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.