Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to drain the coolant for the pump and the truck is 10 years old. Should I do the oil cooler o-ring job or leave it? How long do those o-rings usually last for? How big of a job and how long does it usually take? I'd hate to put it all together and then find oil in the coolant later on.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
Re: Should I change oil cooler o-rings? Already doing water pump - truck 10 years ol

You have heard the saying "don't fix what is not broke". But I hear what you are saying. It would really suck to have to go through it right after a water pump R&R. I am sure everybody gets a different lifespan of the oil cooler O rings but I would have to guess 10-12 years is what I have seen on my work trucks.
If you have the water pump off and you want to do preventive maintenance you should probably do it then. Nothing worse than trying to do it outside in the winter. It is not a complicated job and is fairly easy to access. Both Diesel O Rings.com and Riff Raff have the reseal kit listed on their site. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I say go for it for peace of mind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts