Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry a spare cps, icp sensor and alternator. I also carry fluids and an extra serp belt. On long trips, I take my laptop and AE. Should I carry an IDM at this point? I have an 02 with 106k.

If so, how much does a used spare usually go for?

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Not unless your truck is submerged in water up to the top of the fender wells often lol, they don't fail all that often

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
150 bucks should get you one..if you want.
I would look at swamps version...it is mo better.
replace it then dont worry about it.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Also it is burried in the fender... not an easy nor a difficult job.
but hnless you are an ice road trucker i would leave it in the garage.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I carry the same things you do, along with a starter and enough tools and such to tear the motor down... But IDM's are not one of those things I think to carry... If I could get a working one cheap/free then maybe. Doesn't take up much space.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Good idea to have a spare, debatable if you need to pack it with you, I don't but one is on the shelf in the basement along with spare PCM and matching TS chip.

jrc

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
What to carry depends on how far you go ..what you use your truck for etc.
someone like joe goes a good ways away for weeks on end.
Someone close to home would be better off with AAA towing the rig to the house for a fix..

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
^^^^ Most excellent way to sum up Southmike.

jrc

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is mostly for when I travel from NY to Fl. I forgot I already carry a spare PCM as well. As the truck is aging, I was wondering if I should bring any extra things. I put the ford valve cover gasket shims in a few years ago when I did the o-rings on the injectors. I want to cover the usual 7.3 failures. When I am local. I put the spare alt back in the garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.