Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ford Blue Oval Guy
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I buy an 04 6.0?

I found a truck at an auto auction for 6900 with power locks and windows cruise tilt etc.
It's cloth xlt, 2wd. I don't know the mileage yet. Going to call tmrw and find out.

Is an 04 a big no no to go and buy or would it be a hit or miss far as being a money pit?

·
loud and long
567 Posts
Should I buy an 04 6.0?

I found a truck at an auto auction for 6900 with power locks and windows cruise tilt etc.
It's cloth xlt, 2wd. I don't know the mileage yet. Going to call tmrw and find out.

Is an 04 a big no no to go and buy or would it be a hit or miss far as being a money pit?
My dada just bought a 05 with 212000 miles on it with blown head gaskets. Put about 2000 into it and that included studs,Oem gaskets,machine work,injector o rings and watchers,hot tanked the intake,egr delete,4" exhaust and some other little things. Got a lot for his money Plus I did it all. Truck runs great. Soooo I know I wouldn't b afraid of it

·
loud and long
567 Posts
Dad*

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't know- With my 6.0 I never have to loss sleep at night wondering about what to do with my extra money. I get to meet a lot of really nice diesel Mechanics across the state. I get to spend a lot of time listening to my sirius radio while wanting on the tow truck. My 6.0 gets great miles per gallon if you include the miles its towed. I don't know why the 6.0 gets a bad rap.

in all seriousness I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one, now that I know what to expect for repairs and the issue's that need to be addressed with the motor. Good Luck.

·
loud and long
567 Posts
I don't know- With my 6.0 I never have to loss sleep at night wondering about what to do with my extra money. I get to meet a lot of really nice diesel Mechanics across the state. I get to spend a lot of time listening to my sirius radio while wanting on the tow truck. My 6.0 gets great miles per gallon if you include the miles its towed. I don't know why the 6.0 gets a bad rap.

in all seriousness I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one, now that I know what to expect for repairs and the issue's that need to be addressed with the motor. Good Luck.
9 times out of 10 it's the people that work on these trucks. There not just any ol diesel engine. There's a lot more to them then a lot of people think. Even some "diesel" mechanics at ford have no clue what they r doin. My truck has been to ford one time to try to get an injector warranties tht I knew for a fact was f'ed up and they end up jelling me I need a new block. I picked up the truck and pulled the injector that I new was f'ed up out and replace a 5 cent oring. There not bad motors.....but there are many many bad mechanics!!!!

·
09 6.4
988 Posts
"9 times out of 10 it's the people that work on these trucks. There not just any ol diesel engine. There's a lot more to them then a lot of people think. Even some "diesel" mechanics at ford have no clue what they r doin. My truck has been to ford one time to try to get an injector warranties tht I knew for a fact was f'ed up and they end up jelling me I need a new block. I picked up the truck and pulled the injector that I new was f'ed up out and replace a 5 cent oring. There not bad motors.....but there are many many bad mechanics!!!! "

totally agree!

·
09 6.4
988 Posts
9 times out of 10 it's the people that work on these trucks. There not just any ol diesel engine. There's a lot more to them then a lot of people think. Even some "diesel" mechanics at ford have no clue what they r doin. My truck has been to ford one time to try to get an injector warranties tht I knew for a fact was f'ed up and they end up jelling me I need a new block. I picked up the truck and pulled the injector that I new was f'ed up out and replace a 5 cent oring. There not bad motors.....but there are many many bad mechanics!!!!
totally agree!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes I do agree, Just trying to put a little humor out there. I've had mine for over a year now, and have just had the normal stuff fail, HPOP and an injector. Not all that bad for a motor that has a 170,000 on it now. I really like the motor when you need to go and slam that skinny pedal down you better have both hands on the wheel, because its going to go.

·
loud and long
567 Posts
I wouldn't trade mine for nothin!!! Love it

·
loud and long
567 Posts
My one buddy did a cummins swap on his 6.0 and works on that heap more than he did hos 6.0. Which totally supports my "bad mechanic" theory

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 04' Crew Cab with the 6.0L and absolutely love it. 850+ KM's per tank (yup, I'm a Canuck) @ 140Km/h highway driving, on average. The only issue I've had so far is the leaking rubber hose on the EGR Cooler which will be deleted on payday. 200,000Km on the odometer for $10,000 when I bought it and still running strong. Giver man, go grab that truck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought an 04 brand new in december03 loved it, then Ford left the oil return o rings out when doing the EGR cooler oil cooler head gaskets, sold it went through 3 gas trucks, and bought a nearly Identical 04 4years back, now that the fixes are known 6.0s can be a bargain if you do your homework, and properly evaluate the truck brfore you own it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
LOLLOLLOLLOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.