Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
If the rods don't need to be resized, I just grind the beams then bead/sand blast them. Make sure to take special care to cover the machined surfaces.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i know that the 94 to 97 7.3 have forged rods but what other years of trucks do the forged rods come out in stock

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
If the rods don't need to be resized, I just grind the beams then bead/sand blast them. Make sure to take special care to cover the machined surfaces.
Careful and grind the beams the right way

·
Milk Truck
1,490 Posts
I just want to make sure I understand fully. correct me if I am wrong. First the metal is heated and then froze and then brought back to ambient temperature. And this is done under a very controlled climate.

If shot peening is done also, I am assuming this is something you would want to do before the cyro treatment.

This is a very good , informative thread, that applies directly to almost all of us when connecting rod strength has to be considered.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
As stated above its labor intensive and there is better out there. As far as cost effective well thats another deal that is debated alot. I will get a good set of rods someday ,but right now tuning and keeping the output real is all I am concerned about.

·
Milk Truck
1,490 Posts
As stated above its labor intensive and there is better out there. As far as cost effective well thats another deal that is debated alot. I will get a good set of rods someday ,but right now tuning and keeping the output real is all I am concerned about.
I feel the same way. Just looking for a little education while we are on the topic.

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
i know that the 94 to 97 7.3 have forged rods but what other years of trucks do the forged rods come out in stock
All of them up to the 2000 models did. Parts of the '01s did, they changed to PMRs during that production year.

Justin

·
Registered
186 Posts
Cryogenic is a type of stress relieving process. There are a ton different stress relieving processes, and a thousand ways to interpret and use them in manufacturing.

It all starts with engineering end and evolves from there with what is needed, not because saying "cryo treating" is cool. There is a reason to every process and when the stress relieving is performed, whether pre, during or post manufacturing.. or all three combined.

·
Registered
59 Posts
this thread is a very educational, and a very good topic to talk about in my opinion, thanks for the reply

·
OBNOXIOUS MOTORSPORTS
465 Posts
This was an informative thread by people who understand the processes like aka grumpy and the machinist. I and sure most of the others appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge with us. this should be a sticky thanks for the great info. I didn't even have to ask a question!!!!

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
at 550 and above i would look into aftermarket rods..maybe not depending on who is doing your tuning and if they were tweeked or live tuned etc vs canned tunes.
Don't think just because they are from dp, gear head, tw, swamps etc that they are custom.
they all use base templates and thus are canned tunes, just a much better can.
spend the extra coin and have them calibrate it for your mods, even better spend even more coin and get it live tuned on a dyno and street for the best.

but to me seems like at 1400$ i would want something better then pimped out forged rods.
since your going to have to install or pay even more to install them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wouldn't WOP's cryno'd factory forged rods be the way to go for 500-525hp?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I believe billet rods are always the way to go if you're going through the trouble of building a motor. But if the funds just aren't there, the cryo process can definitley increase the strength of your factory pieces.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Don't think just because they are from dp, gear head, tw, swamps etc that they are custom.
they all use base templates and thus are canned tunes, just a much better can.
i guess im not following you here. thats like saying my moms chili is the same as the #### that comes in a can, when in all reality its not.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Think of it this way
If your mom buys a can of chili and ads to it 3 spices and some chives it tases better and becomes her recipe...looks and tastes way better but wonlt win the ribbon at the fair.

She goes out starts from scratch tastes it and seasons it to perfection whe have a big ribbon.

Ie I tell bill, jodi,dave etc I have a 2002 with intake ehaust guages . Minime injectors
I get a nice chip.

I tell them I have hypermax rods, so you can play with the tables more, I get customised tunes, and prob a slightly bigger bill.

I tell them throw it on the dyno then tune it...I get the ribbon

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Another way to look at it is
Each truck is different even in the same year similar mods... some take it some don't

How many pmr trucks would last a year with kainers old mods and tunes..(rip)
How long did his ttuck run at those levels...his was made mutant material under a full moon to be sure...but I am sure good tunes helped it along.

and if iirc he was getting new tunes for it after some more mods when it let go, had he had the tunes it may or may not have lived.

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
What size nozzles was kainers running on his injectors? I know he used a few different sets, but does anyone know?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts