Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanna new truck, but for the payment I can afford its going to be a 2006 or 2007 6.0. The 7.3 in the sig is doing well but time for injectors and a couple other maintenance items, and I just don't wanna put more into this one.

So I have found a couple nice trucks to look at: All are crew cab short bed 4x4 Lariat models. there is a 2007 with 232,000 miles for $13,500 and a 2006 with 65,000 miles for $23,500. Now 232K miles is alot but its private owner and looks really good, its very attractive for its price. If the owner did all the maintenance and it drives good it will be very tempting to walk away. Am I crazy to look at it even? Lots of highway miles of course but if that's the factory tranny is it on borrowed time? Transfer case too? what about axles and gears? I will ask lots of questions from the buying guide and get oasis and carfax.

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Honestly, I would be more inclined to lean towards the '07 with higher miles for $10K less... In my experience if they have been well taken care of, our higher mile trucks have had less "bugs" to work out because they've already been dealt with...

Has either truck had the usual 6.0L mods done to it yet? That could factor in too, our '06 only had 89K miles on it when we bought it, and hadn't had the egr delete, cold air, or tunes done to it yet, so that was an added expense to consider when buying it...

Plus, if you are willing & able to do the work, $10K could buy you a lot of parts... :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Well I live in Colorado Springs, CO and they still do diesel emissions here and Denver, so most are still stock trucks.

I did find a couple with Bullydog programmers are they hard on the trans?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I've been shopping a lot for 6.0s-- take your time. Im looking for an 06-07 with 110-150K. This is still pretty high mileage for this year, many of these have already had HGs done, and if they havent, its a huge negotiating chip. I've found some very nice ones with complete HG/EGR/stud jobs done for 16-18K.

Unfortunately, my wiff was just laid off so the play money is a little thin and my old 94 is getting some additional love for now...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and advice. But I did lose my mind. I test drove a 2006 2500 megacab, 4x4 cummins, 121K miles, SLT, auto. after trade, paying off the balance of the old loan, taxes etc $22,000 out the door.

I know definately not as nice as our Fords, even my 2001 Lariat is dressed out nicer inside. But no EGR BS and a very solid rig all around.

She will treat me well until I can afford a 2013 F250, 6.7L in 3 to 4 years.

Cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the replies and advice. But I did lose my mind. I test drove a 2006 2500 megacab, 4x4 cummins, 121K miles, SLT, auto. after trade, paying off the balance of the old loan, taxes etc $22,000 out the door.

I know definately not as nice as our Fords, even my 2001 Lariat is dressed out nicer inside. But no EGR BS and a very solid rig all around.

She will treat me well until I can afford a 2013 F250, 6.7L in 3 to 4 years.

Cheers
Yes no egr issues but the common rail dodges have injector issues,need to add a 2mic fuel filtration kit to keep then alive.the 06's have issues with the guage cluster going bad and the seata wear out fast and they have hvac issues aswell..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts