Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
JB welder
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's been really cold here in central ohio lately, anywhere from -20F to 20F. I've been hearing a noise from under my hood but i can't put my finger on it. the noise is intermittent and sounds like air sucking really hard. rpm's don't really effect the noise but the amount of throttle does. when accelerating there is no noise, but if i let off the accelerator it begins to suck air. as soon as i hit the throttle again it stops once. i can't recreate the noise when i'm in park so i believe there has to be back pressure for it to happen.

·
Registered
236 Posts
your 97 has EBPV exhaust back pressure valve and helps engine warm up when very cold out. It is normal to hear it come and go like that with on and off the pedal when cold out

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
That's certainly a new way to put it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's your EBPV. It helps the truck warm when cold. Mine started going off while driving, so I unplugged it. The plug is right under the turbo on the driver side. It doesn't hurt anything to unplug it. It won't set the CEL, just a soft code. They sell a plug at riff raff diesel that will eliminate the codes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts