Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know for sure yet if I am dealing with a shop full of lying, stealing, A-holes, but am pretty sure and will know soon. It is the weekend so lawyers etc. that I could ask will have to wait until Monday, so I thought I would ask you guys. Some of you may have had to deal with this yourself or just have great advice.

I will try to make a long story short. I reluctantly had my transmission built by a local shop with a torque converter from a vendor here. The shop is where I grew up and was visiting when the trans went, and I worked and lived 200miles away.

Trans and TC were installed. Went to pick up and was told the trans was not right and that it was the TC. Called the vendor purchased from and they were more than helpful and even dealt with the TC manufacturer and they were great to deal with. Next day'd a new TC and took the old one back to test. Shop said if the TC tests good we will not charge you for the R&R. Didn't get it in writing. Truck had new TC and was ready before test completed. They were A-holes about letting me have my truck without full payment and I needed it so I paid. Test came back that TC was absolutely perfect. Harassed shop every chance I got, was told that I was being unreasonable and that TC manufacturer was a bunch of liars. So basically they told me something was wrong that was not wrong and charged me for it. That issue is over and done with months ago.

New trans problem. Trans has a warranty but TC warranty is not through them. So obviously a dishonest shop will try to blame the part that is not theirs. I talked to multiple shops around town and members here who all pretty much could tell me what my problem was in a matter of minutes, and that it is very unlikely that the TC has anything to do with it, very very very small chance.

They did their "diagnosis" and said all my symptoms were from a bad TC again. I asked for a written up report of what I brought it in for and what their diagnosis was. I got a wishy washy 3 sentence hand written note, but it does say "suspect faulty torque converter."

I will be taking it to more shops on Monday for their diagnosis, and probably do my own testing this weekend. I am assuming all these diagnostics will point to a problem that has nothing to do with the TC.

Now I can take all this information in and ask them if they want to man up and do the proper work under warranty. They can also say well our diagnosis does not point to that so we will not do it. Even if they do agree to, I honestly do not want them near my truck again. But I do have a warranty left on a transmission that I do not trust.

So do I have options here besides just bending over and taking it and paying someone else to do it or do it myself? What do I have going for me legally here? Obviously falsely claiming a problem and charging to fix it has something I can do. Like I said I don't want them touching my truck again, I want them to pay for me to take it elsewhere or a refund or something of that nature. I have no problem taking this up legally and would prefer it because people like this really piss me off. In preparation for that do I need to obtain more documentation from them on anything? Is my crappy little written statement from them enough? At this point they do not know I am this pissed and think I am just another dumb customer that is going along with them. They do not know I have second opinions planned. They think I am dealing with the TC company and I told them I needed the documentation I got for the TC company, so if I told them I needed something more they would probably go with it.

Thank you guys for your advice.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Man...... I so feel your pain. Been there and done that. With tranny and with a whole damn engine. I talked to a few attorneys about mine. Told me all I wanted to know when they wanted to charge me up front but couldn't promise me anything. Your in a big ole grey area. Luckily my tranny shop is owned by a pretty stand up guy. The engine place unfortunately is not. Every situation is different. Hopefully you can atleast break even and walk away. Good luck with it.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
One molitav cocktail will make everything good. And it will bring a fuzzy warm feeling to your bones.

Just be far, far away, getting hammered with witnesses when it happens.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One molitav cocktail will make everything good. And it will bring a fuzzy warm feeling to your bones.

Just be far, far away, getting hammered with witnesses when it happens.
I have impressed myself with my restraint through this whole matter. The first issue, I was furious because not only did I get screwed but I also drug a vendor here and a company they deal with into it, and was a pain in both their asses. Your exact solution crossed my mind many many times with other ideas too. I just had a feeling I would be dealing with these poopdicks again. Figured any of those ideas I had would have to wait till the warranty was up. I've again had to restrain myself from strangling the shop manager and the owner who both look at me with that "we feel so sorry for you and want to help you" look, with that "we are gonna jam it in with no lube" twinkle in their eye. I've just kept the dumb nice guy attitude until I have hard proof in my hands. One of the shops that I have been talking to and are gonna give me the second opinion has said "kill 'em with kindness" and I'm trying.

And because anything can be found on the internet, I will not say that I will do anything of the sort in the future, and you guys are bad bad people for suggesting it. :evil. If anything bad happened to the shop right now I would be the very first person they looked to. They will forget about me in the future. But honestly just getting them closed so nobody else gets screwed, and finding the owner and manager on the street holding a "spare change" sign and rattling a cup I can piss in would be good enough for me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you think they will honor any 'waranty' on that trans now?
Probably not, I had hopes that if I had a problem it would be something completely un related to the TC and no way to blame it on it. Which i think is the deal now, and I see where that got me. The only other thing is that they are a nation wide shop and have another shop located near the place I live most the time. Maybe they are actual respectable members of society, I have talked to them on the phone and would have taken my truck there this time, but of course it didn't act up until I got back down visiting family. I know some of these national shop deals are the same no matter what shop you go to, but I know others are more independent and it all depends on the owner/manager.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The yellow transmission truck here in Parker........ ;)
That yellow truck has almost been drug into the middle of Parker road a few times.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Did you say a national chain????? I think I would be inclined to fire my ole puter up and shoot out e mails over the shop managers head. My wife does this when we've had problems like yours in the past. I thought she was wasting her time. She gets results!!! I don't call her my " Attack Dog " for nothing!!

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
First I would contact the BBB. explain everything that has happened. Second I would take the truck somewheere else, unfortunately your gonna have fork out more money. If it shows the trans shop at fault you can sue them in small claims court. if and when you do, make your lawyer put a judgement against the shop so they will have to pay you. ALSO include everyonce of time and money here including the new repair.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
have the other chain shop look at your truck and diagnos it... then let them know who built it once they are done.. LOL

this sucks man... best of luck to you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts