Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
just learning...
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have been thinking of other ways to get my rpms down while driving to and from work. How hard is it on an automatic tranny to shift out of drive into neutral and coast for a while then shift back to drive? I do shift into neutral long before the stop sign, then stop and shift to drive, but I was wondering about on straightaways or coming up on a red light that turns green? I know this cant be great for the tranny but does anyone else do this?

dang prices:mad:

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Once you hit the brake pedal the torque converter unlocks which is the same thing as putting the truck in neutral. You won't gain anything. On the flip side shifting in and out of gear as long as you are NOT on the throttle won't hurt it at all.

·
Old guy from the old days
263 Posts
Once you hit the brake pedal the torque converter unlocks which is the same thing as putting the truck in neutral. You won't gain anything. On the flip side shifting in and out of gear as long as you are NOT on the throttle won't hurt it at all.
Torque converter unlocking does not completely disconnect the engine from the rear wheels, it is like having a badly slipping clutch on a manual tranny. Neutral is a complete disconnect of the engine from the rear wheels.

I agree there is no mechanical issue with putting the truck in neutral but I would wonder if the fuel saved while you are in neutral (and losing speed) would be more than or less than the extra fuel used to get you back up to speed when you put the truck back into gear. Downhills (even slight ones) I would think would help, not sure of flat ground.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I would say be careful you don't put it in reverse on accident. I accidentally did that once at 10mph and made an awful noise.

·
Old guy from the old days
263 Posts
I would say be careful you don't put it in reverse on accident. I accidentally did that once at 10mph and made an awful noise.
True enough. My brother did it with our parents car in the late sixties, did a bit of damage to the engine but not that much.

Dave / Believer45

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm fairly sure that when your foot is off the pedal and the rpms are pushed by the motor that the injectors are not delivering any fuel at all. The injectors start fueling just before idle speed is reached. So with it in gear coasting above idle rpm you are using zero fuel, in neutral you are using some fuel to keep it idling.

·
just learning...
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good guys, I have just been doing it when approaching stop signs and going down steep hills particularly when entering a lower speed limit zone at the upcoming hill so I don't spend any more extra fuel gaining speed again. When I shift to neutral the rpms drop right to 500 rpms, when I just touch the pedal an coast it drops slowly and even still when i get below 25 the gear still kicks in a the rpms go up. I am going to try to put the neutral verse torque converter to a test. I have been careful not to go to far an into reverse that would be bad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts