Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
They call me SLIM
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to go get some fast food and cut my truck off to order and when i started it and went to put it in drive I heard a loud pop and couldnt get it to go in any gear.
I had to put the transfer case in N and push it out of the way. Then put it in 2H and fired it up, put the parking break on and had to get under the truck and pop the shifter cable off the side of the transmission and put the truck in drive to get it home.
Anyone know were I can get a replacement cable? Advanced Auto Parts has one for $47 bucks but don't know if I should go with a FoMoCo cable.
And does anyone have another idea as to what it could be besides the cable?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Did the shifter handle on the column become very loose when you heard the pop? There is a spring loaded assembly on the column for the shifter cable that has two t-30 torx screws that come loose over time and if they fall out the truck won't shift. Has the shifter been sloppy in gear before this, if so that is a good sign that the screws came loose.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Sometimes the shifter tube itself will break, I've replaced several.

I would pull the column plastic off and see what, if anything, is broken in there. I have also seen where the plastic bracket that holds the cable tube to the transmission will break off, keeping the cable from being able to move the lever.

I would get the cable from Ford if that's what it is, I don't recall it being much more than what you say Advance quoted you.

Dave

·
They call me SLIM
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man, I had time before class this morning and I decide to investigate more since it isnt dark like last night. I took my dash benzel off and then the pieces that go around the column and then I took the cable off the steering column and pulled on it and it moved so I decided to take the colun and sure enough the tube that connects to the shifter handle was broke!!
Ill upload some pics in a few.

Sometimes the shifter tube itself will break, I've replaced several.

I would pull the column plastic off and see what, if anything, is broken in there. I have also seen where the plastic bracket that holds the cable tube to the transmission will break off, keeping the cable from being able to move the lever.

I would get the cable from Ford if that's what it is, I don't recall it being much more than what you say Advance quoted you.

Dave

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Yep, go get the shifter tube from Ford, it's less than $20 from what I remember. Also get the shifter tube bushings, they're around $6 for the pair, and they go under the hold down straps that hold the shifter tube in.

And next time you're in there, just pull the 4 nuts off that hold the column to the dash, then you won't have to take nearly the stuff off you did. ;)

Dave

·
PSD & IDI WARRIOR
40 Posts
Hey Guys!

I had those (2) T30 Torx come loose and fall out.... Can someone give me an idea of where they go....???

I take it the column has to come down to get them back in place....

I need help ASAP....!!!!

This is my plow truck and I have snow to plow NOW.....

Help guys... Please....

Hoss....

·
PSD & IDI WARRIOR
40 Posts
Come to find out - The screws in the end of the tube. They loosened up and one of the ears broke off.... Had to replace the tube, bushings and went ahead and changed the plunger too.... $100.00+ later and the work and I had a new shifter stalk here and put that in too. Spray greased (lubed) everything up really good in there too while it was apart.... Kinda like driving a new truck now.... Still got to do a bunch of plowing yet in the afternoon then too....

Hoss....

·
Registered
269 Posts
can someone tell me how to access the 4 bolts that hold the column in place? do i need to pull the bottom dash panel out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.