Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The F350 we just bought for my wife is an automatic. I swore I would never own one, but this truck was too clean to pass up.
The truck has 140,000mi on it. Tranny was rebuilt at about 70,000mi. I was told it has a hypermax chip, but I haven't pulled the kick panel to check yet.

The strange thing is, when it shifts (almost always into O/D, sometimes into second and third depending on throttle position), you feel the gear change...and then you feel the converter lockup. It is sepearated to the point that it feels almost like a 6 speed automatic. ;)

The shifts are very firm, and the lockup is softer. Definitely not shuddering...and doesn't feel like slipping at all. Just feels like the converter lockup points are off.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Thanks,
Phillip

·
Registered
932 Posts
That sounds completely normal to me for one of these trucks. you feel the converter lockup and its almost like a splitter between gears. I like the way they shift personally.

·
Registered
77 Posts
im new to psd also, mine is auto. it does the same thing. makes some of the wierdest shifts ever, sometimes im like wtf is this thing thinking. no wonder they dont last for ####. Im swapping in a 5 speed out of my 92 ASAP!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, same here. Make sure and install a LARGE aux trans cooler and keep the fluid changed with full synthetic and they will last a long time. I tow a 12,000 lb fifth wheel with mine all over the country, Silverton Colorado at least a couple of times a year, with zero problems. 250,000 miles and going strong.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine is the same way. It was rebuilt by the previous owner at 85k, and now has 150k on it. No chips, just a ridiculous shift kit that makes it rip your arm out of its socket when shifting. It shifts like butter though when I get the toy hauler, 2 quads, 2 dirt bikes, and all of the gear in it. However, mine shifts so much better and runs a little better with the ebp sensor unplugged. But same here, the second this thing acts up, its getting ripped out and replaced with a stick.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A buddy of mine who has owned automatics and has built his own transmissions for them rode with me a a few times over the past week. He said it's shifting well. No issues.

Silly automatic trannys. :doh:

-Phillip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts