Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had $1500 worth of front end "repairs" done to the truck. This was before my ole man gave me the truck so I'm not sure what exactly was do e to it. I know new ball joints and all the "bars" that are the front end. I don't knew all the terms for them.

Traveling down the road at 60-70 mph or really anything over 20 I have several inches of play in my steering. I have to constantly work my wheel back and forth the keep the truck in a straight line. It's almost a challenge driving down I-35 in the tiny lanes.

My tires are 285's with an agressive mud tread. I know that my steerig stabilizer is shot but I just haven't had time to get around to fixin it. I've also noticed that my PS pump is very oily all the time. Like it's leaking, but I'm never low on ps fluid.

Any ideas as to what's worn out on my truck or why she can't be nice and tight and actually easy to keep inbetween the lines?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I would try the stabilizer first. Could be several things. You said you need that anyway so do it first and go from there. Check and see if anything came loose from the recent repairs. Does it shake or just wander?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just wanders. From one side of the lane to the other unless of course I continuously work the wheel back and forth.

Can't find anything loose.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
steering gear sounds like it has a lot of play, people try to tighten them up but it isn't a good Idea- it won't return to center well or at all.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Have you tried just a simple alignment from a reputable shop?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Havent had an alignment yet. Would this fix it?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
more than likely it would be a cheap way to have a tech check the front end. tell them the history and what it's doing now, they wont' align it unless everything is within spec.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Mine does the same thing... I am going to ajust the steering gear shortly...

·
Registered
183 Posts
so whats all involved in talking the slack out of the gear box?

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
so whats all involved in talking the slack out of the gear box?
There is a set screw with a jam nut on it you loosen the jam nut and turn the set screw. I caution when you do this you only turn it a quarter turn at a time then go take it for a ride. If you get it too tight you will make it even worse. If it starts darting back and forth you got it too tight and need to back it off a little bit. I have found when they get to the point of needed adjusting the box is junk anyway and you are better off putting a new one on.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Is the steering box original?Many may have forgotten...but,back when those trucks were new up until 2001 ford had steering box issues.I had 2-boxes come apart when my truck was new.The third box has been very tight for 90k miles.I have ajusted mine once in that time at around 50k.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've already done the whole adjusting the steerig box. It fixes it for a day or so. I'm not looking to patch he problem I wanna fix it

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
well put a damn hitch in it then! hahahah DERAILED! just take it to an alignment shop, they will tell u whats wrong

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I've already done the whole adjusting the steerig box. It fixes it for a day or so. I'm not looking to patch he problem I wanna fix it
you may have gotten it too tight already- get it to an align shop to verify

·
riverjet
459 Posts
You don't have to go to a shop to tell if it is to tight. In a safe area go around a curve and let the wheel slide through your fingers -in the curve.If it is ajusted correctly the truck should try to go strait on it's own.If it is to tight it will continue into the turn on it's own.

·
Keep er shinny side up!
1,624 Posts
I just recently put new tires on my truck, and when I pulled it out of the shop and headed home it was all over the place, didn't notice it with the old tires but as soon as the new tires went on it was very noticeable. It was the "tie rod end" at the pitman arm. Most parts stores will show it as the same part as the drivers side tie rod end. Changed it out and back to normal...crawl under it and see if its loose when you grab it and yank...could be worth a look....advanced auto had it in stock moog was around 55 bucks street price...took 20 minutes to change, and its not an alignment part, so when you change it as long as your wheels are straight when you put it back on adjust it so it lines back up with the pitman arm and you should be all set.

-dave

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just today had the box "tightened" at the alignment shop after the exact same thing....i put everything on new except ball joints and had it aligned...steering wheel would still "float" for about 2-3 inches in the middle going straight.....the tighting seems to have made a big difference...was planning on a rebuilt box being needed, and it will , but for a while this will work...will run the test of letting the wheel slip thru on a curve....learned something new ...thanks......rsbhunter:bowfast:

·
riverjet
459 Posts
2-3 inches of play is too much.Get it right and it will steer like a slot car on stilts.I never accepted the"It's a3/4 ton truck....they all steer like that,from shops. Also ,when I put ES bushings on my sway-bar end links,I think it reduced axle movement...requiring less steering correction.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts