Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally order a SCT with tunes from Eric. Go them loaded up yesterday, and holy crap! These tunes are insane!! I'm still running a stock truck, so I just got their basic tunes (extreme street, street, tow). It's safe to say that all the praise people give Eric's tunes is spot on! I dealt with Ted through the whole process, and he seems like a good dude. Great customer service.

I do have to talk to them Monday though. Have a couple questions. Some of you may be ableto answer for me though. I have the 6 speed, and when I'm running either the extreme street or street, when I mash the clutch to shift gears the rpms don't drop immediately. It holds for just a second before it drops, sort of like the throttle is sticking. This is only when I wind it out. If I just barely ease into throttle and shift it doesn't do it. Also the throttle is SUPER sensitive. Like if I barely barely press it, the truck surges forward hard. I know some of that is the new power, but it seems a bit excessive to me. Are either of these things normal? I wouldn't think it is.

I need him to double check my tunes too. I'm wondering if they may have mixed up the labeling between my extreme and street tune. When I have extreme loaded, my egt's run very cool, even when I'm romping on it. They haven't gotten over like 700 degrees yet. I get very little smoke too. Now, when I load the street tune, it's the complete opposite. Egt's climb fast, and I get ALOT of smoke. Seems like those results should be the other way around. Just want to be sure before I tow on street and screw something up.

One more thing. When you load a program, it loads engine first, then trans next. Should mine really be loading trans since I have a manual? It takes just as long to load as the engine portion does. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. Just wondering about this stuff.

Any opinions from anyone?

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Hmmm sounds like you were given Extreme Race, maybe... I know even on a WOT run I have yet to get my Extreme Race over 1050* Does it lock the TC in all gears? But mine doesn't smoke hardly either, but my street tune from Spartan sure will! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Finally order a SCT with tunes from Eric. Go them loaded up yesterday, and holy crap! These tunes are insane!! I'm still running a stock truck, so I just got their basic tunes (extreme street, street, tow). It's safe to say that all the praise people give Eric's tunes is spot on! I dealt with Ted through the whole process, and he seems like a good dude. Great customer service.

I do have to talk to them Monday though. Have a couple questions. Some of you may be ableto answer for me though. I have the 6 speed, and when I'm running either the extreme street or street, when I mash the clutch to shift gears the rpms don't drop immediately. It holds for just a second before it drops, sort of like the throttle is sticking. This is only when I wind it out. If I just barely ease into throttle and shift it doesn't do it. Also the throttle is SUPER sensitive. Like if I barely barely press it, the truck surges forward hard. I know some of that is the new power, but it seems a bit excessive to me. Are either of these things normal? I wouldn't think it is.

I need him to double check my tunes too. I'm wondering if they may have mixed up the labeling between my extreme and street tune. When I have extreme loaded, my egt's run very cool, even when I'm romping on it. They haven't gotten over like 700 degrees yet. I get very little smoke too. Now, when I load the street tune, it's the complete opposite. Egt's climb fast, and I get ALOT of smoke. Seems like those results should be the other way around. Just want to be sure before I tow on street and screw something up.

One more thing. When you load a program, it loads engine first, then trans next. Should mine really be loading trans since I have a manual? It takes just as long to load as the engine portion does. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. Just wondering about this stuff.

Any opinions from anyone?
i think you got Xrace not Xstreet judging from some of the comments you made.. my Xrace file does the same thing so thats nothing to worry about if you are really gettin on it it will even rise up when you hit the clutch.. you can go in and change the label on your programs when you store it on your sct/comp.. depending on what you tow i wouldnt do it in any program except for tow or stock. towing hot can mess things up for ya... mine also loads the engine and trans also.. so thats no big deal either..

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well if they gave me extreme race instead then I need to get it changed. I'm still running a stock truck, and definitely don't want to over do it with power. I just know those rpms holding is a bit annoying! If it's normal, then I'll
just have to adjust and get used to it.

It just made me wonder if x-street got mislabeled with street on the file name. Like I said, on x-street my egt's run very cool like I expect them to on street, but when I run street, they get high really fast. I was cruising through town yesterday with street loaded, around 50 mph, and everytime I touched the throttle, I'd blow alot if smoke and egt's would climb to 1000 instantly. When I load and run x-street, I only get a puff of smoke on a gear shift, and temps never got over 700, no matter how hard I ran it. That's why I think labeling is mixed up.

·
Registered
654 Posts
When I talked to them about tunes for my truck he told me on the Niger tunes when you get on it hard and have to shift it will hold rpms for a sec after you push the clutch in so that sounds like what they told me and ont the street smoking and geting high egts you are proly rite they mite have mis labled the tunes they sent you whitch would be a fast fix.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Bigger tunes that is not the uther word that poped up spry not trying to ufend eneybody by what was put on that i'm using my iPhone sometimes it just puts in a word and when I'm typing fast I don't watch what it puts down sometimes sorry agine.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hmmm sounds like you were given Extreme Race, maybe... I know even on a WOT run I have yet to get my Extreme Race over 1050* Does it lock the TC in all gears? But mine doesn't smoke hardly either, but my street tune from Spartan sure will! :rolleyes:
Well if they gave me extreme race instead then I need to get it changed. I'm still running a stock truck, and definitely don't want to over do it with power. I just know those rpms holding is a bit annoying! If it's normal, then I'll
just have to adjust and get used to it.

It just made me wonder if x-street got mislabeled with street on the file name. Like I said, on x-street my egt's run very cool like I expect them to on street, but when I run street, they get high really fast. I was cruising through town yesterday with street loaded, around 50 mph, and everytime I touched the throttle, I'd blow alot if smoke and egt's would climb to 1000 instantly. When I load and run x-street, I only get a puff of smoke on a gear shift, and temps never got over 700, no matter how hard I ran it. That's why I think labeling is mixed up.
when you ordered your tunes did you tell them you had a completely stock truck.. if so youd be ok running the Xrace because it was written for your truck.. there are a lot of guys on stock head bolts that run Xrace.. or you may not even have it it could just be a real strong Xstreet i dont know.. and being that you have the manual trans even from a roll if you hit the go pedal and you are lugging on it even a little its gonna chugg like a freight train in either of the X-tunes not much can be done about that.. with the exception of downshifting everytime you want to speed up to spool the turbo faster.. just curious what is so bothersome for you with the rpms holding for a few seconds.. personally i think it sounds awesome and keeps you from having to bring the rpms back up from the bottom?

·
Steamfighter
1,094 Posts
when you ordered your tunes did you tell them you had a completely stock truck.. if so youd be ok running the Xrace because it was written for your truck.. there are a lot of guys on stock head bolts that run Xrace.. or you may not even have it it could just be a real strong Xstreet i dont know.. and being that you have the manual trans even from a roll if you hit the go pedal and you are lugging on it even a little its gonna chugg like a freight train in either of the X-tunes not much can be done about that.. with the exception of downshifting everytime you want to speed up to spool the turbo faster.. just curious what is so bothersome for you with the rpms holding for a few seconds.. personally i think it sounds awesome and keeps you from having to bring the rpms back up from the bottom?
sounds like you got the same tunes as I did . I don't bother to run the x race because driveabilty sucks with it . mines stock except intake , and exhaust . Just keep an eye on egt and boost pressure .

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
sounds like you got the same tunes as I did . I don't bother to run the x race because driveabilty sucks with it . mines stock except intake , and exhaust . Just keep an eye on egt and boost pressure .
i agree with ya man, it is a pain to drive around town with it.. but on the flip when im on the interstate its the tune the nets me my best MPG... how bout you..
sorry op not trying to jack your thread just after info:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think you have the street tune, tow tune, and economy tune...i ordered my sct x3 from them as well, and unless you paid extra for the other tune, it comes with the street, tow, and economy, maybe it just was labeled wrong?? i havent loaded my tow tune yet, just been running on the street tune and my egt's run about the same as what you described...

·
Steamfighter
1,094 Posts
I got the agg tow , street , and x race on mine . I get about 15-16 mpg around town and 18-19 on the highway holding 70-75 mph . I have not tried the x race on the highway . I run the street tune full time and it is plenty for me .

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Huh, just curious but what didn't you like about X-race? Thats the only file I ran for the last 20k or so and loved it daily, took a bit to get used to at first but after the first few miles was all set. On the rare occasion I wanted to really get into it on the highway I would just tap the brakes to unlock the converter and take off.

At the same time I am hoping to get more of a street file or something though with a bit less power and to see what other guys offer.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think the rpms ramping up have been talked about here or other places and the tuner said it ended up being ICP pressures to high. He can tune it down until you find the sweet spot where the RPM's dont hang. It would drive me nuts too.

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
When I talked to them about tunes for my truck he told me on the Niger tunes when you get on it hard and have to shift it will hold rpms for a sec after you push the clutch in so that sounds like what they told me and ont the street smoking and geting high egts you are proly rite they mite have mis labled the tunes they sent you whitch would be a fast fix.
I run an extreme race tune every single day,...I have for almost 3 years,..never had an issue,..but I'm not running Dougs tunes,..because like someone already mentioned....with his tuning, the rpm's would race between shifts....

though this new file that I highlighted when I quoted you,...I may have to try it from Doug just to see if finally has one that works....LOL

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Are you running vivian's tuning tank? or Eric's?

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
DJ's/Vivians for over 3 years......but I have been asked by another tuner if I'd like to try theirs....been considering it...just haven't pulled the plug yet.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
DJ's/Vivians for over 3 years......but I have been asked by another tuner if I'd like to try theirs....been considering it...just haven't pulled the plug yet.
you cant give a build up like this and not deliver tanks:poke:LOL

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what Eric told me. Said the ICP is set to deliver more fuel which causes the rpms to hold like it does. Said he could detune if I wanted to. I'm starting to get used to it though. Just had to changed how I shifted and such. You definitely can't power shift with it this way though.

Also he rebuilt my tunes and sent back to me. Was worried maybe mine were mislabeled. My street tune feels like it should be my x-street tune, or vice versa. He rebuilt them just to make sure. Haven't had a chance to load those yet, but should later this afternoon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts