Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a new problem that started this morning. About 8am, is started the engine and let it run for about 10-15 minutes to warm up. It was 24 degrees. Idled great for first mile then started skipping and died twice before I got it back home. Same thing after about three hours. Starts great idles fine (20 minutes on second time) then dies after about 1 mile.
Blue smoke when symptoms start
CCT and Buzz-test both passed when cold but CCT shows various faults when skipping starts
Only codes are 263-264-266 when running the CCT.

Any ideas? Possibly faulty Injector O-rings or Injectors themselves?

Thanks for any help.
BTW it is a 2003 F250 7.3 PSD 4WD with 240,000

·
Registered
853 Posts
well those codes are for contribution failure for cylinder #1 and 2 so that's somewhere to start

·
Registered
853 Posts
I would also try a new cps; iirc cylinder 1 contribution falure can be caused by a bad cps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a spare CPS in the glove box that I'll try in the morning. One thing though, when the problems start, it doesn't suddenly die. It is almost like it gradually loses one cylinder after another if I continue to drive. After the initial misfiring is noticed, If I stop and let it idle, it gradually stops missing after about 4-5 minutes. Sorry I wasn't more specific in the OP. Could the CPS cause a gradual lose of cylinders or just a sudden shut down.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
853 Posts
a bad cps can make a truck do some weird stuff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Saturday I put in the spare CPS. I also pulled the fuel bowl cover to check for oil mixing and checked the oil level in the crankcase and HPOP reservoir. All looked good. I was in a rush and didn't have time to start it and see if CPS had an effect. Sunday afternoon, I started the truck and had a dead skip right off the bat. Left it running and went inside to get AE to check cylinder contribution. When I got back, the idle was beginning to smooth out. Ran the test and got #8 cylinder injector fault. I know this is common with grey CPS which I have. Injector buzz test still sounds the same for all injectors. When it was skipping, there was quite a bit of blue-grey smoke that also cleared up when idle smoothed out. I am wondering now, if the O-rings on the injectors are just beginning to go bad, could it be that they leak just enough that idling burns off any oil leaking into the cylinder but when HPOP pressure increases it forces more oil in than what can be burned leading to the skipping. At the same time, leaving the engine off for 2 days allowed oil to gradually soak a cylinder causing the skipping today until it could all be burned off. If this doesn't sound like a possibility what else could have the same symptoms as what I am experiencing.
Someone on another post said something about injector servicing around 180K miles. I bought this truck with 232K miles on it with a HPOP that had been leaking for sometime so I doubt that the injectors have been touched. Is this something that should be addressed and what kind of service would that be.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ya I think I would be looking into injector o rings. May also want to check out the hpop if it was leaking for a while it may be on it's last leg. And yes if the injectors are original its about time to serivce them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts