Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a early 99 powerstroke and after looking around I was told that it has the sever duty air intake on it and I am wondering if anyone else has it and how well does it work.

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Wonder if you are talking about this fine unit?

Ford (Donaldson) Severe Duty Air Intake AIS | Superdutypsd.com

If so? I have one installed...Would not trade it for any other... It will hold up to at least 400hp... and will filter as well or better then any cold air intake... If you have future plans on going beyond 400hp... Ya might consider another...

Way better then the stock unit... only draw back is the replacement filters average around $64...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Could be an AIS or they make a severe duty element for the fact box that's thicker than stock. If it's an AIS that's good. I like mine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay i was just wondering if anyone out there has this ford mod. because i had never heard of it till i was trying to find a filter for it and found how expensive it is

·
Reloading
429 Posts
okay i was just wondering if anyone out there has this ford mod. because i had never heard of it till i was trying to find a filter for it and found how expensive it is
I'll tell you what, I'll trade you myTymar style system with brand new Donaldson filter for that AIS with the really expensive filters. The donaldson filters are about $35ea.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anyone have the foam side filter with theirs and how long do the filters usually last

·
Registered
392 Posts
yes I have the foam fender sleeve on mine
from what I understand the filter last a good while & the filterminder will let you know when it needs replaced

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Farmer: Here are the 2 place I have found to have the lowest prices... It depends on your location to the shipping costs.

[FA-1757]Ford 7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel AIS Extended Life Filter Kit-Replacement Filters(FA1757)

Motorcraft FA-1757 Ford 7.3 Diesel Severe Duty AIS air filter element

My current filter has been in service for 6 yrs... and I still the filterminder shows I'm in great shape... I do though before winter arrives take the filter out and blow it out with air... as well as clean the inside of the AIS system... Tubes and all... You might check e-bay... I haven't done that... Some of the time, you can talk to the seller into free shipping... If he wants the sell... He will agree to do so...

·
Registered
392 Posts
do you have better air flow with both pieces
that is what the fender sleeve is supposed to do & the reason I put it on when I put the AIS was that some said they could make the filterminder move at WOT with a chipped truck without it

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The minder on the AIS is more sensitive than the stock one.

The fender sleeve does help.

The filter under normal use will last for thousands of miles. My truck only gets used when towing the toyhauler or runs to Lowes, etc. it's over 3 yrs old and still going.

The media in the fact blue filter is same as the M1 tank. If it worked in Iraq it's good enough for me.

·
Intelligent Burro
450 Posts
I put an AIS on my early 99 a couple of years ago and am very satisfied. However my e99 does not have wiring or instrument panel light for the filterminder. Been thinking of fixing one up but its still on the to-do list.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I put an AIS on my early 99 a couple of years ago and am very satisfied. However my e99 does not have wiring or instrument panel light for the filterminder. Been thinking of fixing one up but its still on the to-do list.
I wouldn't worry too much about the light deal, I just keep an eye on the filterminder itself & like tbolt said the the one that comes with the AIS may be a little more sensitive.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a light. Need to get under the hood for oil checks and routine things and it's not very challenging to look at it.

No maybe about it. The minder IS more sensitive than the old one.

With the orig one @ 24psi it would pull almost half way. With the AIS & fender sleeve it barely pulls at all and not every time I pull those 9 miles of 6% with my 13K toyhauler

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so than i suppose it would be a good idea to look for a box with the hole in it and put the sleeve in with it i would be able to cut the hole myself but i think it might be cheaper to find a used one out there. i am just looking for some better air flow because i live in minnesota and the weather changes so drastically so when pulling i like to have that cleaner air

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
as the filter gets dirty the minder will show when the filter is being restricted.

None of them come with the hole except the e99.

The AIS has the snorkel that goes to the core support along side the batt, you cut a 3" dia hole in the end and install the sleeve. That's 2 sources of ambient air.

I cut out a portion of the core support and put screen over it.

Last trip camping my friend & I monitored the intake air temp coming home. He has an AFE II and I have the AIS. I ran consistently 30* cooler intake temp than he did. That will make a cooler, denser charge. That's good.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
If your truck is an e99 it draws air from the fender already.

If you replace it with the AIS yes you will need to put the hole in for the sleeve as the AIS has the snorkel that draws from the core support.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts