Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have a 6 pos chip, when I put the tuner in the highest setting and get on the throttle my service engine light comes on. No noticeable loss of power. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,994 Posts
It is probably from the high horsepower tune is asking for more than what the engine components can supply.
Example is overboost or ICP dropping off.
If you have your PCM scanned with a good scanner you can retrieve the codes and go from there.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
What kind of boost are you seeing? Could just be an over boost light. Scan it. My DPtunes are no code for stuff like this.

·
Paul
160 Posts
Personally I would rather have the codes. That way you are alerted to these conditions and can take care of them properly instead of hiding them. Overboosting for example is hard on MAP sensors. The truck will run at it's full potential with the correct HPOP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The light doesnt come on instantly. If I only lay into it shortly the light wont come one. But say I go to get on the interstate and run it hard from about 35 mph up to 85 mph the light will come on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now another flag came up. Yesterday the weather turned cold, finally. I start my truck let it warm up and drove across town. I was sitting at a red light and smelled diesel coming from my A/C vents. When I pulled into the parking lot I looked underneath my truck and saw it leaking from the bottom of my trans(around the flywheel housing). I had this issue before but I fixed it. It was my fuel filter cap leaking. That was the first thing I checked this time, it was dry and so was the yellow drain valve. After running for a minute it stopped. This morning it did the same things while the motor was warming up. Any idea?

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 2001 was doing the same thing. One day it firered up and shut right down. Would not fire back up. Me and a friend went threw and swapped out all the electronics with a good running truck. Turned out to be the idm. It was a 110 instead of a 120 I think the 6 pos chip burned it up. But I could be wrong.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Now another flag came up. Yesterday the weather turned cold, finally. I start my truck let it warm up and drove across town. I was sitting at a red light and smelled diesel coming from my A/C vents. When I pulled into the parking lot I looked underneath my truck and saw it leaking from the bottom of my trans(around the flywheel housing). I had this issue before but I fixed it. It was my fuel filter cap leaking. That was the first thing I checked this time, it was dry and so was the yellow drain valve. After running for a minute it stopped. This morning it did the same things while the motor was warming up. Any idea?
re-check the area around the drain valve , very very common leak after a few thousand mileslike 100k..i am on my second set.
the fuel bowl itself can crack sometimes down by the heater., and the fuel line orings. infact if you can get the orings off ebay, or someone on here for 2.00 i would just change them. mine was leaking bad enough couldnt wait.
I assume the valley is full of fluid.

your check engine light- cel is most likely your hpop saying hey buddy i cant keep up . mine does it if i stay hard on the throttle for seven seconds or more.

dont know if jody turns off overboost tubo light but if your getting 34 lbs of boost he tunes around it. your turbo wont like 34 for long.

·
Paul
160 Posts
Check the steel lines that go from the fuel bowl to the heads. They have a rubber ferrel that seals them at each end. The passenger side one has a clamp on it right behind the intake spider that has been know to rub through the line so check that as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
your check engine light- cel is most likely your hpop saying hey buddy i cant keep up . mine does it if i stay hard on the throttle for seven seconds or more.
This is a possibility. I'm almost certain my HPOP is weak and failing, and if I really get on it I can set a CEL. Does it smoke excessively under acceleration like the fuel isn't atomizing correctly?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.