Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2007 f250 6.0 , it’s got a serpentine belt squeal . I changed out the belt and a few idler pulleys that had questionable bearings . The noise was gone for 100 miles or so but has returned . I’m thinking there is an alignment problem, any hints what to look for ? One thing I noticed was the crankshaft pulley appears to be wobbling . Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the same problem ´06 6.0) but only about 1400-1800rpms. I had replaced everything (belt, tensioneer, pulleys) except the crankshaft pulley and the servo pump pulley. I also tested different belts, the problem always disappeared only briefly or shifted to other rpms.
I have tested silicone spray and all kinds of special belt sprays, they all don't last long.

I guess reason is dirt/rust in the pulleys.

I have now built a brass brush which I can use to clean the pulleys.

·
don't play well w others
3,744 Posts
I suspect water pump and or clutch fan.
Take the belt off, and see if you have any play in the shaft/pulley at the water pump.
I had one drive me nuts like that

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect water pump and or clutch fan.
Take the belt off, and see if you have any play in the shaft/pulley at the water pump.
I had one drive me nuts like that

I suspected the same thing water pump and fan clutch feel and appear fine .

·
don't play well w others
3,744 Posts
How's the bearings in the alternator?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
How's the end play on the crank?

I'm remembering something about problem thrust bearings on those, there is a thread somewhere on here.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tensioner isn’t the original equipment, not saying it still isn’t bad but I don’t think it is . Alternator bearings seem ok .
The noise sounds like it by the crank pulley so I guess it could be a bad tensioner . I hate to replace parts for troubleshooting.

·
don't play well w others
3,744 Posts
Also, remember my small block project where the belt was a tad bit too long. Could be a incorrectly marked belt
Where is the belt that came off the truck. Have you compared the 2?

·
don't play well w others
3,744 Posts
Watch the tensioner, they jump and skip when they are bad

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, remember my small block project where the belt was a tad bit too long. Could be a incorrectly marked belt
Where is the belt that came off the truck. Have you compared the 2?

The belts seemed to be the same size . Maybe I need to get a gates greenback ? Still I believe there is an underlying problem that’s being over looked Charlie . Jake good call on the thrust bearings . It takes two seconds to put a screw driver on the crank pulley and see how much movement I get .

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is difficult to tell if the tensioner is worn in the truck, what you are looking for is the evenness of the gap at the pivot joint

I have replaced several that "don't look that worn" -- but yet when they are in my hands where I can see well, the gap is wide on one side and close on the other
the pivot bushing is spring loaded to one side pretty hard and difficult to wiggle, but the gap tells

With serpentine belts only a small alignment issue will cause a squeak/squeal and sometimes chafing or polishing of the flat side

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is difficult to tell if the tensioner is worn in the truck, what you are looking for is the evenness of the gap at the pivot joint

I have replaced several that "don't look that worn" -- but yet when they are in my hands where I can see well, the gap is wide on one side and close on the other

the pivot bushing is spring loaded to one side pretty hard and difficult to wiggle, but the gap tells

With serpentine belts only a small alignment issue will cause a squeak/squeal and sometimes chafing or polishing of the flat side

I had the tensioner off of the engine and looked at what you speak of . The tensioner isn’t that old or at least it doesn’t look old. This has been apparently an on going problem as I’ve found pieces of what appeared to be hand soap that someone was applying to the belt to shut it up . So I’m thinking the wobbly crank pulley isn’t helping ...... this is the first 6.0 I’ve seen with a belt drive noise problem.

·
don't play well w others
3,744 Posts
Not sure on the oil burners, but on the gassers, the tensioner are one time only.
They self destruct when you remove them.
Sucked on my recent rebuild, I had just put that tensioner on, tried to reuse it, nope showed me not to be cheap.

Not sure how long, and where your tensioner came from, most have a lifetime warranty

·
Project Shamu
2,466 Posts
Not sure on the oil burners, but on the gassers, the tensioner are one time only.
They self destruct when you remove them.
Sucked on my recent rebuild, I had just put that tensioner on, tried to reuse it, nope showed me not to be cheap.

Not sure how long, and where your tensioner came from, most have a lifetime warranty
How do they self destruct? Never seen that myself.

·
don't play well w others
3,744 Posts
The. Spring comes out, and wont reset.
. I will take a picture in the morning, and post

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just a thought but by chance are either of you running a Dayco belt? I hate Dayco serpentine belts! I went through this on my 97 turns out I put a Gates belt on and it cured it. Also I'm not that familiar with the 6.0 but is it possible to get a straight edge across the pulleys to check alignment?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts