Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decided to change transmission fluid and filters today. when i pulled the plug the fluid more resembled strawberry milk than cherry juice. when i pulled the pan i noticed 4 plastic cap things floating in the pan. I have no idea what the problem is or how to remedy it. was hoping that i could get good answers on here. Also I caught between 3 and 3.5 gallons of fluid by just pulling the pan. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tried attaching photos but cant find where they are uploaded to this site.
IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

·
Registered
266 Posts
plastic caps are shipping plugs i belive as for the fluid color i couldent tell ya there but if i had to guess id say wrong fluid in it maybe someone else will chime in here to help you out a little more!

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,951 Posts
i think those plastic caps come on the tips of the solenoids during shipping...if so, they shouldn't be in there....

·
Registered
449 Posts
Trans cooler failure?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Don't know what those caps are. May have a bad cooler or the fluid was contaminated. To test the cooler I usually will pull a vacuum and see if it holds. The metal on the magnet is not that bad. Are you having trans problems or is this just maintenance? What does your inline filter look like?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
inline filter had same color fluid as the pan and felt water logged as opposed to just normal fluid soaked. I called the dealership and they told me that coolant was leaking into my transmission line inside the radiator. That i needed to replace the radiator to the tune of $1800. Mainly the reason I was changing oil due to maintenance schedule, but lately my transmission has not been shifting at the normal points. It used to shift almost as soon as I hit 2000rpms and maintain about 1800rpms at 70mph. Lately 1800rpms is at the 60-62mph range and holds 2000rpms till I let off the gas before it shifts to the next gear.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yep sounds like a bad cooler

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,179 Posts
That would be the transmission cooler in the radiator.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
That would be my first guess, but I would pull a vacuum on the cooler to test for a leak before I spent the money. Also any oil inside your cooling system?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is no oil in the cooling overflow tank, just sludge. I assumed it was were the coolant was breaking down ( from what i have read on this site). I'm confused about the whole transmission cooler location. In the front of the truck are 5 "radiators". From the front of the external filter there are 2 lines, one going to the bottom of the engine radiator and the other going to a seperate cooler near the front bumper. On the left side of this "transmission oil cooler" is a line going back to the engine radiator.

My confusion lies in that if there is a separate cooler for the transmission then why does the oil get routed into the radiator????

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,179 Posts
Because there is a cooler for the transmission in the radiator. It needs two coolers to keep the transmission cool. Neither one is good enough to do the job alone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts