Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on getting the exhaust set up on my 97 7.3l and am having some issues. My intent was to pull the cat from the rest of the exhaust, and reconncet the cat and run a straight pipe out the side of the truck. After not being able to seperate the cat from the rest of the exhaust, I pulled the entire exhaust out. I have pounded on the cat with a sledge hammer and the thing will not come off. are there any tricks to removing the cat from the factory exhaust when it is stuck on there, and yes, i did remove the clamp.

second thing is if i gut the factory cat and just put it back in place for visual inspection, will my truck still pass a sniff test for emissions? I am in AZ and the truck except for a complete ebp delete, is stock, if it matters.

thanks

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Cut a few relief slices in the cat's tubing where it slides over the other pieces. Then you'll probably have to pry the two pieces away from each other where they meet.

You're dealing with the corrosion at the joints where the pieces meet and it's certainly a job.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
When I took mine off I fought it for a hour before I broke out the torch. A little heat on the slip joint and it popped right off. With it off of the truck you will not be able to get any leverage on it so cutting is the only way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would of never of thought of cutting slots in it to get it off, will try it this weekend when I get a chance.

Will the truck pass a sniff test for emissions I the cat "went bad" and the internals happened to fall into a garbage can?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Mine has passed no problem since around 2001 with no guts in the kitty. I have no idea where you're at, so no idea what your test is based on, but that's my result on Colorado's opacity test.

It actually had lower opacity the first time it was tested without the guts vs. the prior year, thanks to a oil change right before the test. Clean oil means efficient injector firing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in az. The last time it went through emissions ( 6 mo. Ago), i was at roughly 4 ppm, and regulation was 40 or 4o something ppm on it so I defiantly have room for it to get much worse and still pass.

I just wasn't sure how much of a diffrence that cat made. My truck is a whole new beast with a straight pipe, and gets about 15% better mpgs then with the cat and factory exhaust so if I can gut it and get rid of it, I want to, I'm just too afraid to gut it and not pass, and have to spend 500 bucks on a new one. I think it is worth the gamble though.

Thanks

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Just go to a muffler shop and have them install a cat delete pipe so you can reinstall the cat at inspection time. The factory muffler is not that restrictive, the cat is the big restriction in a OBS exhaust pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts