Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had one stuck in the mounting bracket? Not the large pistons that are run off of the brakes, but the little ones that pull the outer pad in. I recently had a break issue and when I checked it out today, it was pretty ugly. The inner pad was completely out of the mount and wedged against the rotor. Ruined the inner side of rotor. The outer pad was perfect, so clearly it has been like that for a while. Also in the process, the pistons had come all the way out and actually sheared a pretty good chunk out of one. I'll get some carnage pictures after I get it all put back together.

Any ideas on how to get the pin out? I've been spraying lube in there and trying to turn it with a vice grip to break it loose with no success, yet. I know I can get a new one from the store, but I've already spent $200+ on this venture between pads front and rear, a new rotor, and a new caliper. The only good part so far is that Advance said they would take the busted rotor as a core.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Just keep soaking it. Is the bracket out and mounted in a vise. Try hitting the bracket and the pin with a hammer a few times. Might try welding a nut to it. Grab it whith a socket and breaker bar.

·
Military/Firefighter
61 Posts
Mine was seized about a year and a half ago. Was hell trying to get it out. Finally got it loose with a vice, torch, and large pair of grips. Had to put new rubber gromets in too cause they burnt but advance carries those.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On second thought, I'm probably just going to pick one up at Advance. They are only ~20 and I typically get in trouble later by trying to reuse stuff instead of just buying new. Anyways, here are some pictures. I'm going to warn you its ugly...

What was left of the pads

Caliper

Busted Parts of Caliper and Rotor

Another Shot of the Rotor

·
Registered
520 Posts
you caught it early it looks like, i had the piston on the inner side push allmost all the way through the rotor until the piston pushed out far enough to break the seal and lose all the brake fluid. i needed a new rotor and pads too, i got like 300 wrapped up in the rear axle and i already had the pads

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
That is pretty bad. I would say just replace the mounting bracket.(along with all of the other parts)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm going to end up doing all new parts on it. I felt dumb at first since I didn't fix it sooner when I could have and just let it be. But I couldn't have really known the pin was seized up and was only using one pad for braking. Chalk it up to the game and call it a lesson learned.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Yup looks about right. Had that happen to my 00 . Front right. Ended up replacing everything. good luck with it man

·
Registered
597 Posts
Been there done that

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
:whs: About a month ago, antiseize is your friend on those pins.

·
Diesel Huffer
908 Posts
had that happen on mine, new brackets from autzone were like 10-12 bucks a piece, calipars 41, with core, and come wiith new pins, easiest way for me than dinking with soaking them and trying to pull them out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts