Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Both of you had stock trannys and at the time no money for built tranny? I hope you are talking about him because you dont need the built tranny to run +310 and +325 tunes.. Alot of guys are running the +345 tune as a daily driver and racing too but it will start to take a toll on the TS after a while
I just preffered to play it safe until i have the money to do it right. Not saying you cant run them. Just what i wanted to do.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
A tuned 6.4 will
i dont think so.
The way I look at it with the 6.4s is the 6.4 pulls quite a bit cooler tuned. Tune for tune the 6.4s usually make quite a bit more torque. I have been pulling with big tunes quite a bit lately and depending on some variables, egts hardly get over 1000 degrees. ECT and EOT hang right around 200, and trans stays under 180. My uncle had an LBZ and now an LMM and his trucks never towed AS WELL with BIG TUNES. Truck got pretty toasty, and the tranny would get warm on some hills where the 6.4s did not. Not to say it wouldnt pull or didnt, but with stock trannies and tune only I think the 6.4 pulls better.

·
Registered
211 Posts
:bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag:
he traded the 6.4 on a 6.7 and the dmax still rapes it,as for the stroke keepin up on the hill,i was pullin in 5th under 2k rpm and forced a downshift to 4th and he couldnt keep up, end of story.

·
Registered
261 Posts
:blah::blah::blah::blah:
he traded the 6.4 on a 6.7 and the dmax still rapes it,as for the stroke keepin up on the hill,i was pullin in 5th under 2k rpm and forced a downshift to 4th and he couldnt keep up, end of story.

·
Rollin' In My 6 4
482 Posts
good for the dmax... :blah: ....from my towing experience, the differences b/t the dmax and the stroke aren't big enough to make your statements viable. Have a good time w/ your dmax...I'll enjoy my stroker. end of story.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was in the passenger seat filming.... I couldn't believe it. the dyno sheets look comparable other than the ford makes peak power and tq at much lower rpm. the ford is an f350 with 3.55 gears and 35 inch tires. dmax was completely bone stock. we will be taking the dmax on a snowmobile trip soon, i still think my ford will pull a trailer better!
What 35's did the ford have? The dmax has a 3.73 axle, or a 3.55?

·
Registered
23 Posts
(No, I haven't driven an '11 dmax loaded(heavy)...towed two sea doos(not much of a load)...dmax did great, but so did the '11 F250 under the same load. The loaded chevy I was referring to was the LBZ that my dad used to own and my buddies LBZ.

I drove an '11 dmax first (grew up a chevy guy)when looking for a new truck, and it didn't impress me as much as the '11 F250 did...talking first impressions. The dmax was a nice, smooth riding truck, but the F250 felt more responsive(less lag) and the interior is more aesthetic to me. Everything about the F250 felt nicer and of better quality...I don't buy trucks to drag race...as long as they can pass the slow ass, moving road block drivers that don't deserve a license...then I'm happy! ha)

Yeah I am real curious how the 11 dmax carries a load. I hear ya on not buying a drag truck, I think I am done with that as well. My new one will be used for what it's built for and what I bought it for, work. Maybe later find a old cheap truck for modding and competition.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The way I look at it with the 6.4s is the 6.4 pulls quite a bit cooler tuned. Tune for tune the 6.4s usually make quite a bit more torque. I have been pulling with big tunes quite a bit lately and depending on some variables, egts hardly get over 1000 degrees. ECT and EOT hang right around 200, and trans stays under 180. My uncle had an LBZ and now an LMM and his trucks never towed AS WELL with BIG TUNES. Truck got pretty toasty, and the tranny would get warm on some hills where the 6.4s did not. Not to say it wouldnt pull or didnt, but with stock trannies and tune only I think the 6.4 pulls better.
This is huge to me, I say the bigger tune you can tow with the better. I like having power when I am towing and not having to worry about EGT's.

So does anyone know can the 6.7 run cool like the 6.4??

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
This is huge to me, I say the bigger tune you can tow with the better. I like having power when I am towing and not having to worry about EGT's.

So does anyone know can the 6.7 run cool like the 6.4??
I dont have any info to back this up, but my guess is no. The turbo is a lot smaller (even with both compressor wheels), and from the diesel power test that I saw, as well as the tunes that they are making for them, I think they run out of air MUCH quicker than the 6.4s do. Less air is gonna mean higher temps. Just a guess though. They will probably run as cool, but probably not at the same power level.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wish Ford would have stuck with the twin setup, seems like they went all out on everything else on the motor then shorted it on the most important piece.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
:whs:

·
Registered
42 Posts
What 35's did the ford have? The dmax has a 3.73 axle, or a 3.55?
Ford has 35 inch nitto mt. Not sure what gears the dmax has. I can find out

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone else notice the dealer plate on the DMax? Im sure Taylor Chevy in Rexburg, ID would be very happy with the 21 year old hot rodding their truck.
Actually I don't really think they care considering he bought it! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ford has 35 inch nitto mt. Not sure what gears the dmax has. I can find out
Dmax only comes in 3.73's.... Can't get any other ratio with the Dmax allison combo

61 - 74 of 74 Posts