Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard rumors that our 7.3 can be setup to run a second alternator. Heres a picture of the fan belt diagram.

Has anyone done this before and have pictures? I figure for a guy thats running a warn winch, spot lights, air compressor, big radio having a good old time in the dark this might help ease the load on the one alternator. I have two extra alternators so I was wondering what you would need to do this setup..

Attachments

·
PETE ENGR PSD
972 Posts
Yeah go with a HO, cheaper and less stuff to break IMO. I have a high output it works great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the second alternator setup came with the ambulance package but i dont see why you couldnt put a second one on.

·
Caption This
4,259 Posts
the second alternator setup came with the ambulance package but i dont see why you couldnt put a second one on.
You didn't have to order an ambulance package. You could just order dual alternators. My f-250 came with dual alternators and I don't think you could order an ambulance package on a 250.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah go with a HO, cheaper and less stuff to break IMO. I have a high output it works great.
I'm looking for info on the hardware that attaches to the motor. I know there are a lot of options out there for high output alternators but I was hoping someone had done the leg work and got a part number from ford.

My long term goal is to put two high output alternators and make a huge azz hydrogen generator. For those who aren't familiar with hydrogen generators it can be made with 14 volt dc current, distilled water, electrolye addative, and the hardware creates the hydrogen. Would give the truck huge MPG increases similar to how propane helps mpg but Hydrogen is almost free. So when powerful people get there way and diesel is $5 a gallon I want to be setup so I can still drive my truck a little.

If you want to see more on this go to "hydrogen generator" on the you tube search. Hydrogen is going to expand to be the next big thing once they get the bugs out. The more amperage and volts you run the more hydrogen you can make. For a powerstroke motor you we need a lot of hydrogen to make a difference. Probably 5 or 6 liters per minute.

Back on topic heres an ambulance alternator I found that a guy put on his truck back in 2005. 215 amp alternator. It takes up a lot of space but is interesting. Cost him $350.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
You didn't have to order an ambulance package. You could just order dual alternators. My f-250 came with dual alternators and I don't think you could order an ambulance package on a 250.
ill elaborate a little bit by "ambulance package" i meant when a company such as medtec (local ambulance manufacture) orders there chassis from ford they would come with the dual alternators. i bet if you went to the ford dealer and told them you wanted a ambulance package you'd either get a blank stare or laughed at :pointlaugh:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
you can order and ambulance package in a 250 cab chassis.. i have a buddy with a 99.5 f250 x-cab ambulance package.. dual alternators and a few other things added or deleted to get the ambulance package.. think you could prob order one with dual alternators though...

·
PETE ENGR PSD
972 Posts
Aren't the duals on an ambulance package just two mid size alternators? Like 150's amp or something?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
High Output Alternator, 250 Amp, 7.3L Diesel

Dual alternator install - successful! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Not sure if they would fit, but switch the stockers with some HO's. When I switched mine it was unbelievable and it doesn't even have the overdrive pulley on it.
Great find! Thats exactly what I'm looking for. It looks like the guy disappered before he could post up some pictures. Thats an old post 2004. Cool mod. What can a guy run with 500 amps? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The ambulance package was 2 110a alts. The 2nd alt was PCM controlled and would require a special flash from the dealer. You could put the 2 alt setup on and run the 2nd as a 1 wire alt, Or you could just do a larger single.
The large ambulance one pictured will bolt straight to the standard bracket. It just needs 3" longer bolts. It is only 215 amp but being a Mitsubishi is brush less and will last forever.

·
Caption This
4,259 Posts
The ambulance package was 2 110a alts. The 2nd alt was PCM controlled and would require a special flash from the dealer.
My truck has dual alternators. My PCM code is NVK4. I have a spare PCM that is also an NVK4. I bought it used from someone on PSN. I don't remember who it was. Are you saying that my spare PCM won't operate my dual alternators unless it came off of a dual alt truck?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Way way back that was something i read on TDS. I never tried changing the PCM on my old truck and checking.

·
Rented Mule
95 Posts
I orderd my truck new in 2000. Dual alternators were an option when I placed my order. It was about the only thing I didn't get other than a cd player. My factory PCM is also an NVK4 code for what its worth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts