Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people I have talked to recommend to use seafoam oil additive every couple oil changes, I didn't know if it was worth the money and if it actually does help. Any one out there use it and see any changes?

·
Real Trucks Rattle!
196 Posts
DONT use in your oil. All it does is thin out the oil, you dont want that. I have known people to do this with no results and wasted oil. I wouldnt do it to even my $800 beater car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
DONT use in your oil. All it does is thin out the oil, you dont want that. I have known people to do this with no results and wasted oil. I wouldnt do it to even my $800 beater car.
what about adding it to your fuel, it says on the bottle it's for diesels also and it's an injector cleaner ?

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
DO NOT put that stuff in your fuel, I've seen that stuff eat gaskets in a gas engine, I could only imagine what it would do to a diesel, gas and diesels are completely different fuels and ignition processes, something that is supposedly made for both is not going in my truck, use the ford diesel additive, redline, powerservice or stanadyne for your truck. I personally don't see how a supposed injector cleaner would clean your injectors, although an additive may give you an mpg boost. I would shy away from any autozone oil additives, a 6.0 is picky as hell when it comes to oil, just get high quality oil and you'll be fine.

·
Banned
299 Posts
i guess that last person has never used seafoam so he
has no clue on what it does. I have used this stuff twice
now and found it works very well. I used this on my log
splitter it was sitting all winter and when i got it out it ran
rough so i put the seafoam in and 2 tanks later it was
running smooth and not choppy like it was when i first started
it. The second time I used it was when i got out my honda 4
stroke scooter, when i gave it gas it would bog down so
I put seafoam in the tank waited 10 minutes. after that time it was
running like new. So if you have never used the stuff it
doesnt hurt to use it one time to get it to clean it out.
If you used it alot then yes i could see it hurting the engine
this is a harsh cleaner that does work. This person has
never google seafoam either or he would hear all of the good
reviews out there for this stuff. I have learned to google
things before i use them. To the person who said dont use
it find me bad reviews on this stuff to prove yourself right in
not using it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have used it to clean out a 1978 351 v8, hadn't ran in 7 years, hardly would run when i got it running. Put sea foam in it and it really cleaned it out great, that was about 6 years ago pickup still runs fine. I have used it in my diesel as an fuel additive (just to use up a rest of a can here and there) never notice it helping or hurting. I never have used it as an oil additive but believe it would work although i would only run it for a few hundred miles then change it. Side note I absolutely love the Sea Foam Deep Creep, I use it with great success as a penetrating oil, gun cleaner(took surface rust off an old remmington 870 without harming the blueing) and so I pretty well use the Deep Creep for everything.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I talked to a seafoam rep. in person that worked with diesels. He told me to use 1 can of seafoam 200-300 miles before oil change at max. The carbon in the engine could be cut loose and plug the oil filter. I did try it on my 300,000 mile diesel. It did help with the injectors at the time and a hole ton of crap came out during a oil change. I do my own oil changes.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the info Old Smokey, I figured that it worked so good thats why I wouldn't run it in the oil for more than a few hundred miles. Good to have it confirmed from a sea foam rep. Seriously people you should try the Sea Foam Deep Creep, it pretty well replaced a few chemicals I used to use! :bowfast:

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
pull the easy to find msds on seafoam fuel/oil add

IIRC it has 3 ingredients Naptha a paint thinner /Isopropyl alcohol, attracts water / pale oil ,like diesel fuel

I have used it in cheap lawn equipment but I won't use it in my trucks fuel system
the crankcase ? I would rather use a product like rev-x or one of the other 2 made for our trucks
My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have not needed it more then twice in my diesel. We are talking about a rep. so I am not pro or con on this, but he brought me the injectors out of three different engine manufacturers and one was a powerstroke. They looked fairly nice for the mileage. He sead that he worked for a diesel shop. If I were to make a recommendation it would be, to add one can of sea foam 200-300 miles before an oil change and not to be working the engine to hard.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
brought me the injectors out of three different engine manufacturers and one was a powerstroke. They looked fairly nice for the mileage. . If I were to make a recommendation it would be, to add one can of sea foam 200-300 miles before an oil change and not to be working the engine to hard.
u can't see the oil side of an injector without taking it apart so if these were whole injectors I wouldn't take to much revenue in the cleanliness

my fear would be the sea foam solvent actually loosening a particle somewhere
after the screens and filtration but before it hits the confines of the oil fired power stroke injectors

then again I am a pessimist :eek: some folks drive powerstrokes with wix filters , cheap dino 15-40 and minimal maintenance with no issues ever LOL

·
Banned
338 Posts
I think it's a waste of money... And strong cleaner like that worries me. Like what exactly is it going to dislodge in my engine? Like a transmission flush on a old tranny... Seems like a horrible idea.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Some people I have talked to recommend to use seafoam oil additive every couple oil changes, I didn't know if it was worth the money and if it actually does help. Any one out there use it and see any changes?
If you want to clean the oil system this is what I have used and it works good. I purchased the oil and the fuel additive.

Hot Shots Secret - The Original Stiction Eliminator
This is a great product also. I have used it many times, but wanted to try the hotshot and compare the two. I personally like the Amsoil product better, but I am bias.
AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush

·
Billy Big Rigger
288 Posts
You can make your own home brew sea foam with 4 parts diesel, 2 parts naptha, and 1 part iso HEET, for far cheaper than buying the stuff in a can, it's mostly filler anyways.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts