Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a issue with the belt being too long??
I put the SD tenisoner on what I was told is a 96.
even got the decal for the belt routing.
belt superseeded to # 1c2z-8620-la/jk81227.
it is just too long....

Anyone ran into this ???

Please let me know
Thanks
John

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
It would be nice if you would share so in case others hit this snag. Are you interested in doing a little write up on this modification?

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
The belt number is correct for use with the SD dual idler tensioner conversion. Using the JK8-1227 Motorcraft number and following the PSD SD or van belt routing the belt will fit. Usually, the opposite problem occurs, its a little hard to install. I installed five of these belts and finally got one Motorcraft belt that was hard to install. Just on the short end of the tolerance, I guess. This apparent short belt condition was reported by a number of the guys who initially did this conversion.

I used the van tensioner and it appears to be identical to the SD tensioner but was substantially cheaper than the SD tensioner.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be nice if you would share so in case others hit this snag. Are you interested in doing a little write up on this modification?
I think it was dumb.. Luck??
I had the belt on and off at least 5 times looking at the decal and kept comming up to long....:mad:

The last time it Fit......:eek:

I personaly think I was going the wrong way over the Dual tensioner.
But didnt take it back off to see.

I didnt want to push my Luck...

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Uh whats the deal with this upgrade? Is there a benefit to converting over to the SD tensioner?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Whoa...
I was just playing around with mine last night and was wondering if anyone was still doing this mod. I did my Black truck maybe 10 years ago and I'm working on my '97 cc now.

Did you have to cut the rib with your tensioner? I know the boss gets cut off and when I did my Black truck I had to cut the rib, too. But with this tensioner I have now there is nothing to get in the way of the rib, just cut the boss and bolt it on.

And what did you guys pay for the tensioner? I can get these from my OEM supplier so I'm wondering what ya'll paid.

Thanks.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Jim can you take some pictures as you go? I really would like to add this to the Library. The PDF is a very good start.

·
917 Posts
the JK8-1223-AA is a little shorter and is for super duty single alternator with the cold weather package.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
the JK8-1223-AA is a little shorter and is for super duty single alternator with the cold weather package.
I think someone has already done this to my truck!!!
I got a belt (gates K081189) today, and it is too short. I checked several online catalogs when it wouldn't fit, and they all seem to call for that belt. If I skip the top idler, the tensioner will just put a little tension on the belt, but the belt rubs badly on the upper radiator hose.
Examining the belt that was on the truck (over 3 years old, since I've had it, and who knows how long before that), I can barely make out "8P83(3 may be another 8)168 1223K6". Looking up the 1223K6 on google gives (from 1223K6 - Micro-Rib V-Belt (122.3) [1223K6] - $18.43 : Madison Tractor Company, Quality Parts, Fair Prices) a 6 rib belt with pitch length (sometimes called effective length) of 122.3 inches, and equivelant to a Gates K061223.

From the Gates website, I determined that the K is probably a series designation, the 06 is the number of ribs, and the 1223 is 122.3 inches.

From that, and knowing that I need an 8 rib belt, I assume the Gates number will be K081223. Off to the parts store now!

I'll get a few pictures if needed.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
The dual tensioner was supposed to last longer than the single tensioner and, as I recall, the belt was supposed to last longer.

The .pdf attachment cited in metrojd's post is the full writeup for the dual tensioner install. The alternator bracket is removed from the engine, the lower tensioner boss is cut off and the rib is modified for clearance of the dual tensioner pulley bolt. The replacement tensioner is mounted in the same location as the single tensioner.

I used the van tensioner F8UZ-6B209-BA listed in the pdf. Others have used the SD truck tensioner F8TZ-6B209-BA back when this mod was posted in the TDS Forum days. Both tensioners are 8 rib pulley units. If you want to do this to a 7 rib belt truck, then the ribbed pulleys would have to be changed to 8 rib ones. I also used the van belt routing decal F8UZ-8B656-AB, it was $4.18 back then. The decal should be currently available since the dealership orders them through Ford from a decal reproduction company.

The van and SD dual tensioners are identical in appearance but when I bought the van unit, it was substantially cheaper, like about $40 less at the time. :confused:

In Motorcraft/Ford language the JK8-1227 (Ford IC2Z-8620-LA) belt translates as:

JK is belt series number
8 is number of ribs
122 is 122"
7 is fractional in eighths =7/8"
Total belt length is 122-7/8".

This locates about midway on the tensioner's belt stretch indicator marks.

On TDS there was a post that Goodyear Polygator belt #4081223 also worked.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whoa...
I was just playing around with mine last night and was wondering if anyone was still doing this mod. I did my Black truck maybe 10 years ago and I'm working on my '97 cc now.

Did you have to cut the rib with your tensioner? I know the boss gets cut off and when I did my Black truck I had to cut the rib, too. But with this tensioner I have now there is nothing to get in the way of the rib, just cut the boss and bolt it on.

And what did you guys pay for the tensioner? I can get these from my OEM supplier so I'm wondering what ya'll paid.

Thanks.

Yes the rib needs cut...
If not the tensioner will hit..

If I rember the Stock belt is a few inches shorter.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts

All these pictures are courtesy of Powerstroke2000.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Here's mine:

I see now that the 2 pulley's DON'T move together on mine, and it's listed for '99 - '03 Power Strokes.
Not sure what good it really does, the 'upgrade' is to have them move together.

:(

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
The Ford Motorcraft F8UZ-6B209-AB single piece dual tensioner I used is the same unit pictured in Powerstroke2000's photos. The F8UZ-AB part number appears to be the original (van?) 1998 engineering part number.

Powerstroke2000 is the same poster on TDS who reported that he had problems installing the JK8-1227 belt (seemed too short).

·
Construction Babysitter
761 Posts
I have a 7 rib belt on my truck. Can the ribbed pulley on the new tensioner be changed, or would I have to change all of the other pulleys?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts