Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I had the opportunity to put a set of SD lariat seats (bought the set for $1500 - THANKS BOB!) in my OBS. Wow! Sure they are comfortable, but the look is awesome. I find myself just staring at it for minutes when I think of what used to be in there (a driver's seat that caused me to lean towards the door and be below the steering wheel). And the best part is that whenever I have had the opportunity to show them off to people (and this includes guys at the local Ford dealership), all they say is, "Those are nice seats" - and they forget that those seats should have never been in there to begin with. I have a couple pics of the install and the finished product; wish I had grabbed more, but in the process of the install the last thought on my mind was, "I should get some pics". It was relatively painless to install and the seats should give me many years of sorely-missed comfort in my truck.

My interior was mocha, and it just so happened that Bob had the prairie tan interior. We were worried that it would look awful, but it turned out that they are pretty much a perfect match. I also got myself a 2008 console (around $500). I love my truck even more than I already did, and I would encourage anyone that has the means to buy them to do this swap-out. SO WORTH IT!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And BTW, this is how I managed to buy the seats in the first place: They look incredible...

Attachments

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
So will a SD set of seats just bolt in using the existing holes? And do you sit up any higher than with OBS seats?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to drill ALL NEW HOLES, but the body for the most part cooperated. I had to shim a couple of holes to get the seats to sit level. And yes, you sit much higher than with the OEM seats.

·
OEM Moderator
9,379 Posts
Good photos and a nice post.

·
Registered
374 Posts
GAWD,,,, He's terrible at this. :poke:

Those seats came out of my 99. The cool part was that in 99, the leather was Prarie tan instead of Parchment. The tan is darker and and almost perfect match to the Mocha in the OBS trucks. I had just recovered all my seats last year in new OEM Prarie Tan leather, so John, knowing it was the seats he "must have", helped me search for the set I really wanted.

The set I bought came with an 08 center console, which I donated with the seats, since I wanted a black console.

For the most part, the seats were not that much trouble. We bought new carpet, so we basically stripped the interior out down to the steel floor. We laid out the new seats before we laid the carpet to make sure all would fit and the holes drilled, etc. All new holes had to be drilled, and the passenger side front bracket was actually 2" higher than the floor, so we welded washers to the floor to make up the distance and the carpet covered this so it was invisible.

The console was equipped with power jacks, so we had to run a new curcuit for the console, but the driver's seat already had power for the original lumbar that we used for the new 6 way power. Since I had the original truck end of the harness plug, we replaced that and the seat just plugged in like it's supposed to.

I had also put aftermarket heated seats in under the leather when I covered them, so this OBS now has 6 way power/ heated seats.

The seat belts on the front seats had to be removed and the OBS units were bolted back to the floor in the original location. The only difference is we removed the center passenger seat belts.
The back seat was a piece of cake. 4 new holes and rebolt the seat belts in.

Someone asked if you sit higher. That is the most fantastic part of at least for me. I am 5'8" and feel when I sit in the OBS, I couldn't see over the hood. Now, you sit up like you should and John is 6'2" and still has about 5" of head room above his head.

Finally having real cupholders is also a huge upgrade.

All in all, there is no comparison to the look or comfort in the way it was to now. I started with him at 4:00 PM one afternoon and we finished up at 4:00 AM.

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:whs:

LOL.

·
OEM Moderator
9,379 Posts
That is cheating to make the old guy do the posting for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I swapped my factory cloth bucket seats out w some leather buckets from a 99 dodge. It took 8 hours to make a new bracket to fit them in. The doors barely close haha

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
I just picked up the SD jump seat for $50 at a wrecking yard today. My plan is to remove the black center console and the armrests off my aftermarket seats and add the SD jump seat so i can seat 6 like a proper crew cab should. the seats in the truck are aftermarket and have custom mounts that use the OBS holes so i'll weld some steel between them to bolt the SD jump seat to. Long term plan is to get everything covered in new matching leather!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
This been done in a reg cab???? Good seats make the truck! Nice swap guys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.