Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I swapped the original rear springs on my truck to improve payload and stance. Put some general spring leafs on.
I’m pleased with the swap. They added almost 2” to the height of the rear of the truck. They are very stiff, but the payload is much higher, now, with new springs. I pulled a 6’ x 12’ enclosed trailer that weighed about 2000 lbs and didn’t notice any change in height when hitching it up. There are rubber “keepers” that prevent individual leafs from shifting and squeaking.

There is a hex nut on the top-center of the leaf that is supposed to seat in a hole on the mounting plate for the U-bolts. The hex bolt is barely too big for this hole. After torquing the mounting plate down, the bolt seated in the plate. The bolt is, likely, rounded now. Inconsequential, because I’ll, likely, never disassemble the leaf springs.

I used all the original hardware. It’s in pretty good shape. I turned the rear shackle bolt around for easy removal later, if I put some sulastic shackles on. That was a mistake. The threaded end gouges the hanger. I’ll have to completely remove the springs from the frame and axle to turn them back around.

Thought I’d share a pretty simple task, but highlight a good Midwest brand that had great customer service.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Changing the springs does not change the payload, except to reduce it slightly if the new springs weigh more than the originals.

Ford specifically advises against re-using the axle U-bolts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changing the springs does not change the payload, except to reduce it slightly if the new springs weigh more than the originals.

Ford specifically advises against re-using the axle U-bolts.
Well, that’s good information to have! Thank you! I guess that’s a few more parts to add to the ever growing list.

·
Project Shamu
2,728 Posts
Yes most, if not all u-bolts are technically one time use because they are torque-to-yield.

Looks great though

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve been looking at replacements for the last hour or so. Just need to get the measurements... tomorrow. It’s dead in the driveway right now anyway... no real rush.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts