Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
PSN local
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was thinking about getting a set of 7.3 Superduty injectors for my 97 OBS. There is a local you-pull-it junkyard and i would like to go there and see if i can get a good set of AD or AB injectors and getting them flow tested and putting new seals on them and trying em out in my truck. Money is tight and i think this is my best option for the moment for injectors. However, i know they are split-shots and the OBS trucks have single shot tuning and use a 15* hpop instead of a 17* hpop. My question is... what will the benefits be of doing this to my OBS with the single shot tuning and will a 17* hpop from a Superduty fit in place of my stock 15* hpop? Also, is there anything else off of a 7.3 Superduty that will fit on the 97 7.3?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Get your chip reburned to run the splits correctly... Benefit is you will have 130 or 140cc injectors vs 90cc... For the money you will spend on the injectors, seals, flow testing, you could probably just get a Rosewood budget build and have 160cc injectors but that's just me...

You're 15* hpop might have issues on the top end and you might set the CEL for 1211 everytime you mash the pedal for more than a few seconds...

yes a 17* hpop will transfer to your 97. You could also snag an intercooler and pipes. If you find an early99 you can snag the spyder.

I had AB's in my truck for a while and didn't like them, stage 1's are better...

·
Registered
326 Posts
i did "budget built" stage 1s from roosewood and they were $500 bucks, my stock 15* pump throws a CEL at anything over 2500 RPMS so ill most likely do a T500 pump which is $285 from TE i beilive..go stage 1s BIG DIFFRENCE!! good luck

·
Daily Stroker
1,680 Posts
Either rosewood rebuilds or a set of Baby Swamps injectors. ADs are a waste of time I think. BTW your video on youtube with that stack is badass.

·
PSN local
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my idea behind this would be to put the SD injectors in and hopefully the 17* hpop and when the money situation gets better, send my stock injectors to rosewood. but until then, this will cost me very little money. And heck if i can get em cheap enough ill probably try it out. If i dont like em, ill throw the stock sticks back in.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
my idea behind this would be to put the SD injectors in and hopefully the 17* hpop and when the money situation gets better, send my stock injectors to rosewood. but until then, this will cost me very little money. And heck if i can get em cheap enough ill probably try it out. If i dont like em, ill throw the stock sticks back in.
There is no reason you wouldnt like them. Id say go for it if you can get a lower mileage set of 140cc injectors, but try to do the pump at the same time otherwise youll kick yourself

·
Registered
182 Posts
But how would it run with single shot tuning? Seems like the loss on efficiency would negate añy power gain.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Here's the way I see it...

Your going to spend almost the same doing it either way... If you are seriously on a huge budget, don't mess with your truck.

For splits: 200 for injectors (lets assume), 100-150 for tunes then 100-150 for tunes later when you switch back to singles, 80 bucks for seals.

For singles: 500 for rebuilt injectors 100-150 for tunes.

Just do it once and be done with it if you want more power...

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
But how would it run with single shot tuning? Seems like the loss on efficiency would negate añy power gain.
From experience! Just 10 minutes ago trying to figure out why this guys stock 90cc injectored truck smoke like a freight-train. I told him the only possible scenario would be was the PO put AB's in his 97 federal truck. He called back like 5 minutes after asking around the shop he was at. They pulled the Valve cover's and low and behold what did they find. He had no idea that the PO had done AB injectors and had the PCM flashed to match. Chips on its way back for a reburn.

Note: When you sell your truck after doing this please pass this info on to the next owner. :doh:

·
PSN local
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will there be any gains with the single shot tuning on these injectors and the 17* pump? just curious

·
Registered
326 Posts
the split shot injectors are oil pigs. in order to get the full 140cc out of them you would need to put a 17* pump in other wise the 15* pump wouldn't be getting the full 140cc out of them..like stated before, if your going to do the split shot route, do both other wise it wont be worth the time and money when you could have done stage 1s. good luck

·
Registered
182 Posts
But if you have to tune stage 1's would be cheaper then. You wouldn't see as gain without tuning it seems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
splits on single tuning sucks you will probably drop some hp if you dont get split shot tuning in the truck

·
Registered
346 Posts
My truck is a flat out turd on a stock tune or anything close to a stock tune. It feels like the ICP ramps up super slow and it has super crazy lag. You hit the throttle and just wait for it to do anything. I noticed a slight bit more smoke without the chip, but that was only at idle.

Now with some tunes it runs very strong, until i get above about 80 or so and it just runs out of steam. Only mods i've driven it with are injectors, tunes, intake, and exhaust. Hopefully next week i'll have a trans in it so i can see how it does with the 17* pump before the 2's go in.

For what i have in the injectors it was well worth the gain i saw. It runs much stronger than any stock injector'd truck i've been in. And this has been with a 180k mile stock HPOP, in my preliminary testing with a transmission that was beyond dead the 17* pump made it even better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
so whats the exact symptom of having AB injectors in an AA truck without tuning? would it be crazy lag when you take off from a stop and then power kicks in at 2k rpms or would it just be crazy lag all the time at all rpms?

·
Registered
346 Posts
so whats the exact symptom of having AB injectors in an AA truck without tuning? would it be crazy lag when you take off from a stop and then power kicks in at 2k rpms or would it just be crazy lag all the time at all rpms?
My truck loped at start-up with the AD's, then when i took off there was crazy lag. I would mash the pedal and it would kinda move, then finally just haul ass. It was a pain trying to pull into traffic because there would be a couple seconds of no power. And yes, i think was around 2k RPM's when the power started coming on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts