Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this project wanting to increase the flow to my heads without spending a whole lot of money. I knew that the SD engine had 3" intakes and spider, but that spider wouldn't fit my turbo. I though I could use the Hypermax Inlet on my truck and then I found one on Ebay for $90. I was told that the SD intercooler outlet tube would fit my truck, but it didn't. I already had the Banks techni-cooler setup. Flowed nice but not enough me. Some may say I should have used the early 99 spider intake but, when I looked at it the outlets where it goes to each head, the inside diameter was still 2". Wasn't going to gain much with that intake. Here is what I fabricated to work for me and gain flow with less restriction.

Here is a comparison between the two intakes. Noticeable difference the two side by side. One note: the SD intake manifold will have two extra holes on early 94-95 Powerstrokes, will have to weld those wholes.

This is a side by side comparison of my Banks inlet and the SD inlet. I was going to have to fab up the intercooler outlet tube to fit the SD spider. Note: anyone who wants to cut off the turbo outlet piece like I did here, don't try to save both pieces when separating the two. I tried to and had a hole in both of them. Had to JB weld the hole in. I put my Water-meth ports on the intake where the air heater was and another in the lower port. I'll put my MAP sensor on the elbow outlet. Have to plug the extra port.

When I put my turbo back in, I noticed that the compressor housing was touching the SD intake manifold, so I "lightly" hammered where the contact was. No other issues putting the manifolds on the engine.

Here is the spider in place with my modified intercooler tube. I know, not everything is installed on the engine.

What I end up in having to do to make the IC tube fit was to cut my previous tube where it bends and cut the SD tube that I got from Banks where it would meet my old tube and line up to the spider. Not exactly a prefect fit but the boots let me have some wiggle room. Hope to powder coat the tube soon.

Here is where I was most concerned about, having enough clearance between the outlet and spider. I may do some more cutting to have more clearance to keep the two from touching or rubbing.

Here is my old setup that I got from Banks. I hope in the end that I got more air flow with less restriction. Was it worth it, don't know, but something else that I though of, made it to work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
that will work

here is the wifes 3" spider next to her 2" spider

and a old pic of here pipes,still looks the same but with black boots now

·
Taters #2 Fan
825 Posts
I love the pink

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I think I still have a Banks outlet here if anyone want to copy this set up.

Tom

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
993 Posts
That looks great Magnum! I wish I had gone that route instead of the early 99 spider cause I know eventually I will be doing it all over again!
:shrug: I swear I am just dumer than a bag of hammers!

·
I pity the fuel
105 Posts
Really nice setup! I'm going this route when I can get the pieces togeather.:ford:

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great, won't need to plug them then, they are 1/8" pipe thread.

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't called Banks yet, I'll get right on it.

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did the 3 inch intakes cool it down any? Sorry if you are not done yet, just eager to know.
I'm doing several things at once around here and I'm hoping, wishing and praying that I can turn my Stage one injectors into stage 2's while there out, before I put everything back together, but unless I sell everything I own, don't know I can swing it.

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My truck as been done since January and I hope that it will be running these week. I'm going from Hypermax stage 1's to 200cc's. Along with different air filer. So doing a side by side comparsion will hard to do.

·
New to Diesels
26 Posts
Magnum - So I want to make sure that I have the parts correct for this setup:
-Late 99' and up intake manifolds
-Late 99' and up intake split off tube (post intercooler charge to the manifolds)
-Late 99' up intercooler and tubes

So from my understanding you used your banks outlet and just modified it to run to the intercooler. I don't have a banks kit, so is there any other outlet tube I could use...Tom S, do you still have yours?

Also, can you use SD pipes to/from the intercooler on an OBS, or are there interference issues? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I have everything in order before starting another project. Thanks

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A SD outlet tube won't fit from the intercooler to the spyder. At least on my truck and my intercooler. The inlet to the intercooler I don't know. Let me check Ebay real quick.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts