Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there running the SCT X4? I am looking for unbiased opinions on it. I have only heard good things about it and am wondering if the canned tunes are the same or improved compared to the SF3 and if anyone has first hand experiance with them? Looking for all input good, bad, and everything else. Thanks in advance for any and all info from everyone.

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
I'm running an X4 with a canned street tune. I have no idea if it's better than the SF3 tunes. Considering that the tunes are independent of the device, I'd bet they're the same. It's a nice tuner. I'd pay the $399 for it over $379 for the SF3. The screen and features are better. However if I had a SF3 that was working fine, I wouldn't switch over to it as you're not really gaining that much to make it worth the hassle. JMO and hope it helps.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have anything done in regards to the tunning on my truck, Exhaust, Intake and new injectors and thats about it. I know I am probably the only guy here who has left it pretty much stock but those times are changing now that the truck is not the only means of mobility for me. I do plan on getting down to Bill from powerstrokehelp here in the next year to have him truly bullet proof the truck, studs, ringed heads, delete, coolant bypas, regulated return, the whole nine yards so to speak. I am looking at tunners now that will give me a bit more punch than what I have at the moment without turnning the truck into a basket case. IE the edge tunners killing tranys and what not. Thank you for the info it is in line with everything I have heard so far about it and honestly I dont think SCT has any upset customers out there. Reliable product from a highly regarded company.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Anyone out there running the SCT X4? I am looking for unbiased opinions on it. I have only heard good things about it and am wondering if the canned tunes are the same or improved compared to the SF3 and if anyone has first hand experiance with them? Looking for all input good, bad, and everything else. Thanks in advance for any and all info from everyone.

I think generally if you have an older device sf3 or a newer device x4, and update them both through your computer the caned tunes power level shouldn't differ much. X4s are nice and compact, have an LCD screen for watching pids and looking at/clearing dtcs.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
X4 rocks......street tune is garbage though. Guys post or comment negatively on the street tune. Live the Tow 65 tune for pulling new RV trailers across the western mountains. I'm stock with studs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm sending my X4 back to SCT for the second time, I got it last month, drove it with the canned tunes, came back from work a week later with the Looney and a Tow tune from Vivian, updated the X4 and loaded the custom tunes. It would not recognize the vehicle after that, spent a day on the phone w/ SCT trying to sort it out, NO LUCK, it would recognize a 2013 6.7 and a 2015 F-150, but not mine. I also bought Street King and a Tow tune from Drew at BRP, haven't got to try any of them.
Returned the X4, 3 weeks later it's back, same story, they said they loaded tunes onto an 04 PCM with it, mine is a late 04. Today I had a guy plug an $800 diagnostic tool in and go through the PCM, no problem, and I paid Ford dealer $104 for a PCM reflash, it still wouldn't read my PCM.

When I get it back, It's FOR SALE!! Unmarried, 5 Unlocks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same boat as Mt here. Got the x4 and tuned truck, ran great on canned tunes, went to down load customs tunes, didn't load properly and now tuner will not turn on at all. Calling sct this weekend!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
bronco, that's very interesting, for the last month I've felt like the only guy on the planet that's had problems with an SCT Tuner, HUH!!
At least that's the way it sounded from SCT, well, they have mine back a second time and I bit it and ordered a new one, the other may tune a PCM as they claimed it did, but it won't tune mine, now, I may have a corrupt custom tune causing it, I didn't even try the canned tunes the second time because I told myself if it won't load the custom tunes, I don't want it, canned tunes aren't great, the tows felt good the little I ran them with a big load, but the perf. tunes were way under the turbo and blew a cloud of coal, not what I want.
I didn't buy it for canned tunes. I've had my PCM reflashed and will try the canned tunes first then Drew's Street King, if it happens again, I'll be p!ssed and done with the X4.:evil

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sent X4 back a second time last week and ordered another X4, got my tunes rewrote for new tuner, got new X4 and updated it right away per Vivian, didn't load any custom tunes, would not recognize my vehicle again.
WTH, that's 2 X4's bit the dust after updating them, like I posted before, the first X4 I had worked fine before updating it, per SCT's directions.
Man, this is depressing!!:(

·
Registered
44 Posts
As of this morning, after contacting SCT about revising an update back to an older version, no can do, they are saying they are having issues with 03-04 tuning/revisions.
Well, I have 2 X4's build date 6/25/15 and 6/26/14 that don't work, purchased the first one a little more than a month ago, second one was from same shop, same batch.
They say they are working on it, if you have an 03-04 6.0 and are thinking to buy, you may want to wait, or stay away from the June built units. Or even better, buy one and don't do any updates to it and see if it works before and after updating. I would love to know.
Boy this sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :mad:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow this is the first I have heard of any issues with anything from SCT I will for sure stay away from the ones made in June now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't know if that is a key or not, but haven't read of any issues with the 3015's. This is the 6th SCT Tech I've talked to now, Vivian got through to him also, he said my number was in front of him when they figured something out.
Man, what a downer this has been, truck is set to the nuts for some custom tunes and I've spent $800+ in tuners and still waiting, $4700+ last week with studs, Y-pipes, Reg. Return, water pump, fan clutch.
Sinister Y-Pipes and KC wheel made noticeable difference in how this truck pulls, just want to load these tunes for some real performance, then upgrade the turbo, I plan on giving Charlie at KC a call at that time.
I plan on keeping this setup worthy of the heavy towing I do in the summer with a 32" 5th and around 3500 lbs. of Stratos Walleye boat behind that.
Oh, and Kudos to Vivian at Quick Tricks for going the extra mile , trying to help out a customer that bought 2 of her tuning files!! Thank You!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I received my X4 7015 last week from Innovative. Wish I had read all this before ordering. I have a 2004.5 and all the communication issues described here are true for mine as well. I am now in a holding pattern waiting on a fix by SCT.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So was it the updating the programmer or the custom tune that is causing the issue. From what I am gathering the X4 canned tunes were running good just the custom tune and update caused the issue right? But it makes me wonder if the tune caused it. I mean the way the EPA is cracking down on deletes (Both EGR and DPF)and the companies that supply the tunning to defeat them as well, it kind of makes me wonder if there isn't some sort of secret squirrel crap going on in the coding and what not? I know thats kind of consperacy theory and all but it was just a thought. I might just have to wait till all is sorted out before getting one now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Out of the box the X4 won't read the strategy (or anything else) from the computer. Updated, same thing. While I had SCT on the phone, same thing. They say it is a firmware problem that they are aware of. They are working on a solution.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh well that nixes my EPA claws scenario thank goodness. I am glad SCT is aware of the issue and am sure they will get it squared away.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey, a companion in misery out there!:poke:
At least you don't have 2 of the damn things! Vivian e-mailed me again tonight, they are looking for an 03-04 in Central Florida to try the X4 on. They claim they tuned an 04 PCM with the first X4 I returned to them, I said yeah, it recognized my PCM the first time and tuned the canned tunes but that all stopped when I updated it, think it was the 1.035 version, updated to 1.037, when I got it back there as an update to 1.039 waiting on their site, did that with no results. Mine would read a 2013 6.7 and a 2015 F-150.
What they're saying is that on the 03-04's, the VIN number wasn't part of the programming and wasn't saved, when the device is updated it doesn't recognize the vehicle again. As near as I can remember the statement.
The second X4 I got last Friday and updated right away (before all this info came to light on Monday) was a 1.037 version and I updated to 1.039.

Soooo, yeah I'm waitin',waitin'..... impatiently!!!:mad:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am sorry to see you all are having issues with this product but I am also wating on you guys to give the HELL YEAH ITS FING FIXED as well. I dont want to pull the trigger with the purchase to just have a couple in your case MT just sitting there useless. I hope this all gets cleared up quickly

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, after the smoke clears and they hopefully get this issue fixed, I'll have an X4 for sale. Hopefully no one to scared of it to take it off my hands for, say $360 shipped. JUST LIKE NEW IN The BOX!!:psn:

·
Registered
44 Posts
03-04 tuning issues are fixed, have got tune in my truck, gonna try it out and then load the Looney and Street King.
Man, that was a nail biter / Hair Puller. Specially for SCT no doubt. Tech said about 200 X4's out there not working.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.