Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a SCT with Gearhead SRL tune
and a TSD tune..
know someone selling one with those tunes on it for 300$...since it is a generic tune and not a custom tune with it work on my truck without any problems?

since we dont have the same strategy?
looking to get input asap was going to buy today!

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Depends on the strategies on the tuner and on the truck. But more than likely no

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even though they arent "custom Tunes" since the SRL is a generic tune?

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Its not a Generic Tune, tunes are written to your truck. Simple as that. Buy the tuner get your tunes you want and be done with it. If not go buy a superchip its cheaper for GOD SAKES

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
:doh:

and ti doesnt matter what strategy your truck or the tunes are the file replace the trucks files so it makes no difference.
Let me get this straight going by what you say your tunes can be placed into my truck, if so thats false. Unless you have some magic way of tuning. Most tuners take the serial number from the SCT and match to your Strategy to lock it, my tunes dont work on anyone else truck, let alone loose my truck ecm in the memory.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
the only way any SCT tuner will work on another truck is if they're only generic(canned) tunes on the unit that aren't strategy or serial# specific. Like rescuef250 said....when tunes are written, the tuner uses the serial # off of the SCT device to write the tunes for that serial # and the strategy of the truck. So a custom written tune will only work in one truck....that's it.

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
So a custom written tune will only work in one truck....that's it.
thats not true either
the tune is locked to the SCT device but not the vehicle so if u unlock the Sct and want to sell it and the custom tunes
you need to find someone with the same flash (strategy) that the original truck was using ..otherwise it's only good for the SCT not the tunes

so if you have the same strategy your golden

and the op confused things calling the SLR a generic tune He's better off putting the $300 into a device from Gearheads with tunes

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
Let me get this straight going by what you say your tunes can be placed into my truck, if so thats false. Unless you have some magic way of tuning. Most tuners take the serial number from the SCT and match to your Strategy to lock it, my tunes dont work on anyone else truck, let alone loose my truck ecm in the memory.

Yeah they lock the serial number of the tune to the device... not your strategy. I run VXCF4 tunes in my truck and my stock file is VXCF7.

Your tunes will work on my truck If im using your sct device and vice versa.

This whole ecm getting locked out because of mismatched strategies is BS. I've used my X3 when returning my truck to stock on a different truck before with different strategies.

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
it can work but it's not guaranteed to be a good thing

the custom tune is written for the strategy paramiters

if they didn't need the various strategies from the particular vehicles they could sell them preloaded

this is why there is a mad dash to refine the tunes everytime a new strategy comes out

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well...this doesnt help me at all...mixed opinions..i guess ill call Matt at Gearhead on monday and talk to him about it

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
I don't have mixed opinions lol

post back after u talk to Matt but if you email Him He might responed this weekend ..ya never know with Him [email protected]

also what device are you thinking of getting used /how many unlocks?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SCT X3 5 UNLOCKS OPEN ON IT. RETURNED TRUCK BACK TO STOCK SO IS READY TO ROLL. PREFER TO SELL TO SOMEONE WITH VXAP2N2 STRAT. COULD SEND MY TUNE LIBRARY ALSO WITH TSD TUNES, IDP TUNES, GEARHEADS, RCD, I EVEN HAVE SPARTAN TUNES FOR IT.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^thats his post^^ good guy just wanna make sure i can use his stuff before i buy it

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
OK I had asked him to clear up 5 unlocks I thought brand new had 5 ? I haven't seen his response yet ? can u link to it ?

for $300 if you aren't using the tunes it's too much

get a new SF3 from Matt IMHO

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
SCT X3 5 UNLOCKS OPEN ON IT. RETURNED TRUCK BACK TO STOCK SO IS READY TO ROLL. PREFER TO SELL TO SOMEONE WITH VXAP2N2 STRAT. COULD SEND MY TUNE LIBRARY ALSO WITH TSD TUNES, IDP TUNES, GEARHEADS, RCD, I EVEN HAVE SPARTAN TUNES FOR IT.
haha this is the exact same strategy for my truck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
963 Posts
OK I had asked him to clear up 5 unlocks I thought brand new had 5 ? I haven't seen his response yet ? can u link to it ?

for $300 if you aren't using the tunes it's too much

get a new SF3 from Matt IMHO
What if he can use my tunes? Then it is not too much.

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
Thx He must have posted the same on another forum and thats where I asked Him about the unlocks ? doesn't really matter Strokin6l should get this

I would pass unless Matt tells you otherwise

·
Registered
963 Posts
I believe it would be 4 unlocks. It says 5 when I plug it into my truck. Maybe when you tune your truck you will lose one so then it will say 4. I have only had it on 1 truck. Should be no big deal. I think the tunes will work fine on his truck. Just like pizza pig said the tunes are locked into the serial number of the sct. Most tuners tune with vxcf4 anyway

1 - 20 of 55 Posts